• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary clutch the same for Attack and GT?

NTIMD8

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Apex Attak
Hey guys, for some reason my secondary clutch got some grooves way at the bottom so I found a used secondary and was wondering if it is the same. My sled is a 2007 Attak (136") and this came off a 2006 Apex GT. Same part?

Thanks!!!

Identical. Just swap your helix over. And I'd put a new spring in it as well.

same part , the spring might be different.

The spring that's in my current secondary is black right now. Any guesses as to why? Would this be the reason why it developed grooves way at the bottom of the secondary? Maybe not stiff enough?

if there is no other markings or colors, it is probably someones after market clutch kit. Your belt is what is causing the grooves.

I only use OEM belts. I know it would be my belt that I actually made the grooves but from my reading the reason why those grooves happen is because of a week spring in the secondary sheaves don't apply enough pressure on the belt and spin slower causing the belt to wear grooves into the sheaves.

There should be a Pink or white dot in the middle of the spring facing the outside, that's how Yamaha determines what is what. It is possible to be worn off, how many miles are on the sled? How deep are the grooves? If the spring was to soft you would more then likely be blowing belts nonstop, the belt would slip so much creating tons of heat and cause the belt to blow.

I had this exact problem when I bought mine, the guy said to me "great sled but it blows belts like crazy" he had a "hauck clutch setup" in it, turned out the grey hauck spring was too soft, I put the stock helix in with a white spring and problem solved. The secondary spring is like 30 bucks from Yamaha. FYI

That makes perfect sense. I put in a brand-new belt and it blew within 150 km. Then put the belt that I had taken off for a temporary belt and that one blee within 30 km. So the Spring must be shot. I will take pics of the grooves in 2 weeks when I get back to the cottage and have access to the sled.

I would agree, it does sound like the spring is shot or it's not the correct spring. How many miles on the sled? While you have it apart check the ramps on the sheave that the helix slides against and the bushing in the helix, once they wear you will start seeing a copper collar on the bushing.

I would agree, it does sound like the spring is shot or it's not the correct spring. How many miles on the sled? While you have it apart check the ramps on the sheave that the helix slides against and the bushing in the helix, once they wear you will start seeing a copper collar on the bushing.

15k kms on the sled (9k miles). I plan on doing a rebuild on both clutches. I'll head to the dealer I guess and see what parts I need. If I can't find a list of what I need I'll probably make a post on here. lol

You can always go on Yamaha-motor.ca and check out the online parts fiche, input year and model and will give all part numbers you need.

Back