• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary Sheave Whine

Stonetire

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 Vector LTX
I have a 2008 Phazer GT with 3700 miles and am experiencing a whining/squealing noise from the clutch area during deceleration. I am fairly certain it is coming from the secondary clutch because as soon as I tap the brake, the whining/squealing noise stops. When the brake is released and I am still decelerating, the noise will return. It seems worse when I abruptly let off the throttle. If I slowly reduce the throttle input during deceleration, the noise will not occur.

There no noises during acceleration and I have not noticed any decrease in performance.

Any ideas what might be causing this condition would be greatly appreciated!

Thank God for the snow so far!!!!

I have heard that.I think it just the belt.Try scuffing the belt and clean secondary sheaves and see if it goes away.Sounds kind of cool though!

That happened to me once with my new belt, seemed to start after Braking and letting off, then engine braking kicked it.

Hasn't done it since I've ran on the belt some more. It's an aftermarket belt and seems to have made my blinking reverse / having to bounce it to engage issue worse.

I had a similar problem on my 2000 vmax 500. Turns out it was the belt and it also was the worn nylon pucks inside the secondary.

Deceleration whine (if we're referring to the same sound) appears to be normal or at least common, from what I can tell. Both of my 08 Phazer MTXs do it, and I've heard a number of other sleds do it as well. If you're concerned, tapping the throttle to match engine speed with track speed should stop it, and also serves to provide better engine braking.

Back