• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shock Life

1975FA

Expert
How long do you guys run shocks between rebuilds? I have been told annually by some and every 1000 miles by a shock rebuilder. The shock repairs and upgrades were the biggest expence in rebuilding my 08 rtx.

Mine has 7400km on it, and I only got the rear shock re-valved this year because I exploded it apart when my suspension components failed. Fronts and Center feel fine still.

1975FA said:
How long do you guys run shocks between rebuilds? I have been told annually by some and every 1000 miles by a shock rebuilder. The shock repairs and upgrades were the biggest expence in rebuilding my 08 rtx.

The rule-of-thumb I have always heard is 2 years or every 3000 miles.

But it really depends on your riding conditions. Some snoX racers do theirs after every race weekend where as some trail guys can get away with 5000 miles.

I use to do mine every year when I was really pounding my sleds, now I do every second year. I do the fronts one year and the rears the next.

Beenba said:
Mine has 7400km on it, and I only got the rear shock re-valved this year because I exploded it apart when my suspension components failed. Fronts and Center feel fine still.

I wouldn't go by how they feel. I would not classify shocks like ball joints and bushings, going by how they feel. I would classify them like your engine oil or chaincase oil and have them rebuilt on a schedule based on your riding.

I've had my skid out every year...
Sometimes the shocks are fine and other times I'm surprised what I find.
Usually the center shock is in need of help.
Front shocks... Not so much of an issue.

I noticed on my xtx when I push the rear down it doesn't come back up. If I lift from the bumper to top out the travel and push down it goes down a good 8"or so and doesn't bounce up, seems like I can almost bottom it out without it rebounding back up. I know there should be a bit but this doesn't seem right. I'm guessing rebuild time?

Is it sitting on a dolly? Its especially bad if sitting on a dolly, when you compress them they won't spring back up.

You're more looking for the ride, if you're getting a harsh ride and blowing thru travel, after properly setting it up, or having a noticeable change from what you were used to, then its time.

Lol I have nothing to "be used too", just bought it and there's no snow yet but I don't want any issues when it comes, or atleast as little issues as possible. I'll take some measurements tonight when I get home.

Just got off the phone with John Sherrard at Accelerated Technologies and it seems like the shocks blown (1" of rebound) and the skid wasn't greased often enough, there's a TON of stiction. When I lift up to top it out and then push down and let it rebound there's roughly 5" between where it started and where it rests. Didn't think that was right.

dirk said:
Just got off the phone with John Sherrard at Accelerated Technologies and it seems like the shocks blown (1" of rebound) and the skid wasn't greased often enough, there's a TON of stiction. When I lift up to top it out and then push down and let it rebound there's roughly 5" between where it started and where it rests. Didn't think that was right.

Id read the star suspension write up under the nytro forum. Alot of people have problems with the suspension not rebounding like you

Yep, I'm on page 234 in the nytro forum, been doing my homework for the last 2 weeks lol. I'll invest in one once I've gotten the shocks redone and the skid greased properly. I can deal with a bit of sag but 1" of rebound and 5-6" of sag isn't right, feels like it's bottoming out just sitting on it.

Back