• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shotgun Track? R S Track noise

I noticed when my sled is sitting in the garage the idler wheels flex down into the track between the lugs.That may be the vibration and why the Cat quiet tracks have the little ramps on the inside of the track. It would also explain why the track quiets down when new hyfax are put on,because the wheels don't sink between the lugs so much.Hmmmm,now how to fix it?

I tried all rubber wheels,new hy fax, 1" Ice Claw track,Rip Saw with no studs, various susp. setups, but nothing helped. Mine is so loud if I put one of my employees on it to ride, I would be required by O.S.H.A. to provide hearing protection. It is far louder than machinery in the shop that requires it.
Yamaha is TOTALLY worthless in my opinion for not addressing this issue that they have known about since last year.
How can you build a trail/touring sled that the rider needs ear plugs ?
I also agree with the previous poster about louder than a 2 stroke as my Doo GSX is much quieter at cruising speeds.
I am going to try a 1" Kimpex all windows open track this year. I love the motor but the noise I can not stand on 1 week trips.

I am almost affraid to try another track,seeing that it was just as bad with the one inch iceclaw! I have an m-10 in my rage.I have a m-10 in a viper with the finger track wich is bascially what an ice claw is and it is smooth as silk I just don't get it! I am really confused what to try!I sure don't want to throw five hundred on a track if it don't work, but my buddy has an03 rx-1 that he streched to 136 and put a 1 inch track on and it is quiet as can be so maybe that is what it is!

track window

yes opening and clipping the close windows help for the hyfax wear for the noise i know that on the 2006 new rubber wheels is suppose to get the hauling noise away ps i drove almost all last winter with ear plug very bad

Has anyone seen the new rubber wheels on the 06 models.Wondering if they are the same size,all rubber,wider, etc. Cutting the howling even in half would make me VERY happy! Thanks to all for keeping this discussion active as it seems to be quite a problem.

I'm not doubting anyone elses track problems.....we've had this discussion last year.

All I can say is that my 05 Vector w/stock exhaust and studded ripsaw track emits NO excessive track howl at all. All I can hear is the engine, exhaust note and wind.

I didn't get the howling noise until i got about 800 miles on mine. Now it's terrible. It's pretty bad when your buddy wants to ride your sled and you don't let him because your ashamed of the noise.

I have an '03 RX-1, I had a chance last year to trade sleds on the trail and test drive an RS with a turbo. Wow did that sled go, but even above the extra noise of the turbo I could defintely hear the track and found it rather annoying.

The origin of the track noise is not evident to determine. What i am sure by now is that fully clip the track make about nothing to the noise (improve slide wear only) and that the noise goes worse as the slides wear.

After reading and observing a lot, the more plausible cause is, i think, from the track itself. The rubber they use to make the ripsaw is so soft that the wheels wedge between bars in the rubber of the track. It make the wheels vibrate like they riding between rails on a railway. Try a simple test of just put pressure with your fingers in the external wheel way inside the track and slip front to rear... you feel the ripple, it seems worse on the ripsaw than any other track i've checked. This is also why it goes worse as the hifax wear and the wheels get more pressure.

The arctic cat silent track directly attack this issue by putting small rubber ramps in the wheel way in the track. That with pressure, flatten the wheel ride and cancel the vibration and noise.

So what can we do to improve our situation ??? Softer rubber wheels propably help a little vs plastic wheel. Try to keep the hifax less wear as possible. And ultimatly replace the track....

just my observations and conclusion ..... it does not explane why the Rs lineup track noise is worse than the Rx.... and this with different skid from vector, venture and rage..... can't tell why by now.

bye

Alain

I'll throw in my 2 cents...

My 05 RX-1 ER had the most track noise of any sled I've ever experienced so it's not just the RS. The track noise was much louder than the engine. At certain speeds I really wanted to wear ear plugs and I've never had a sled loud enough to require ear plugs before (28 years of sledding).

A friend of mine, Flipper, has an 05 Vector ER with 144 studs down the middle. I don't know why but his track is very quiet compared to my unstudded RX-1.

During the year (10,300 kms) I went through lots of idler wheels because the bearings failed. At one point in time I got to try the 06 wheels for a while. I noticed a noticeable improvement, but the sound was still there. Later I went back the the original wheels and the sound was horrible again. I'd say the 06 wheels cut the sound down by 25-50%, but even at that level the sound was very annoying.

At the very end of the season I installed a new pair of hyfax (1st set were on until 10,100 kms) and the track noise, even with (mostly) the 05 hard wheels, was completely gone - for a while. Unfortunatly the noise came started to come back over the next 200 kms. At the end of the season it was still only a small fraction of the noise with the worn hyfax and the 06 wheels. Based on that I would say the wheels are probably not the cause of the noise, but they are a part of the equation.

This year I'll be starting off with a new pre-punched ripsaw track with 144 studs, new hyfax, and probably aftermarket rubber wheels (with replaceable bearings). I'm hoping the noise will be gone.

Has anyone tried a set of graphite sliders????????????? I bought some but my sliders with 1,000 miles still look good..MM. :ORC

after reading some theory's the soft compound of the track and the wheels sinking into the rubber.how about removing the wheels and riding the sled for a short distance(have to wait for snow)just to see if that cures it .My guess might be because of the 1.25 track riding trails that most of us do(hard pack) that the paddles keep the sled to far off the snow and cause the wheels to thug thug thug into the track! Does this sound reasonable to anybody else! I would love to keep this track But I can't take another season of noise and vibration!

Back