• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Simmons flexiskis nervous wandering on icy roads

otis

Expert
I put new simmons skis on my 03 rx-1 from the group buy with 6" carbides on inside and 4" on the outside (like the website recommmends). I did not re-align the skis but with a really crappy quick measurement thought they were close to parallel without much if any toe out. I put them on the sled new so I don't really know how she rode without them, but with the group buy I couldn't resist. (Thanks Curt and CCperformance!) So the ski alignment is to the factory setting.

What I noticed was outstanding snow and hardpack handling, but on Icy roads the front end was so nervous I wouldn't go above 50mph without fear of losing control. It wandered all over the road. My friends on Polarass Indys were giving me crap how slow I was on the ice and how fast I was on the trail.

What do you guys think was wrong? I cannot tell if its that the skis are out of alignment with too much toe out. Or is it my carbides need to be switched so that the 6" in on the outside like some members have mentioned? Or is it too much or little ski pressure?

It seemed to handle well on hard pack except for the tippyness, but I've since address that with 2.3kg/in springs, longer 04 links, and pioneer 13mm sway. During my last rides with all the nervousness I only had the straight rate springs on and no links or thicker sway. There seems to good hookup on hole shot without the front end lifting much and the steering effort is not too difficult nor too light.

Any help would be great.

Otis

My Simmons wander on a road as well. Not extreme but enough to make you very attentive to what you are doing. Worse when I back off so ski pressure does make a difference of sorts.

Stock ski's handled great on a iced road. Sucked in the trails because of allways wanting to stand the sled on its side. The Simmons made the sled handle a ton better on the trail. Way flatter in the corners with ski lift when pushed.

In loose snow the Simmons push a bit but not scary push. Just a kind of more steering imput for the amount of turn needed as compared to hard pack. Stock ski's just wanted to turn the sled on its side even in a couple of inches of freesh snow.

I have my limiters on my Warrior sucked up tight as it sits on the ground no weight on it. Skies are 1/8th of an inch tow out one foot from center front to back. Transfer rods are 50 50.

Skis

Tell you what, got the SLP straight line trackers with 6 " carbides for
$ 300.00 bucks. No darting, great on ice & hardpack and excellent easy steering. Took the Warrior to Quebec and it handles like a Porsch after setting up the chassis per Super Strokers advise. The guys a smart very knowledgeable tuner. Couldn't believe it would handle like a ZR till I rode it. The man knows hisSxxx

Otismojo, I also have Simmons skis and know what your talking about. The problem is that you've got 10 inches of carbide biting at all times. I have a 6-4 split on my runners as well with the exception of having my 6 on the outside. I've had it both ways and it seems to handle better with 6 on the outside. The near perfect handling on snow is worth the few times on ice.
You can lessen the issue by letting out the limiter strap a notch and doing what I mentioned with the carbide. Also, having a 4-4 split may help if you ride a lot on icy roads. Good luck.

Try putting the larger on the outside, I get it somewhat but not as bad as you make it sound. I have mine on the outside.

I have the same problem.
On icy trails it's not as bad but it's still there. I've switched the carbides around and it made little difference. A dealer installed the skis with instructions so I'm assuming that the alignment is correct. I haven't checked though. With only 150 miles on the skis, I did notice that the front 1/4 of the carbides are wearing down big time. With the sled on a flat surface, you can see how skis are not sitting flat. So, I'm going to shim the skis this weekend and see if that helps the problem. I'll let you know how the shimming works.

Gentleman let me explain. DO NOT toe out your skis with Simmons Skis. They will perform better than dragging a carbide think about it. They are an extremely aggressive ski that tries to cut on ice so they will hunt. I would always put the longer carbide to the outside and here is why. When you corner sure it shows the inside cutter making the cut but it is the other ski tilted in the opposite direction that has the outside cutter pushing down and digging in to get the rail effect going. Therefore the need is to have the longer ones on the outside. I have tried all different ways over 4 years and the outside works best. As for the icy roads just pin it and lift the skis as much as possible and when you slow down the natural engine braking will really make you dart when the nose comes down hard and the skis try to bite in bigtime :shock:

Yep that's right but it also worked ALOT better on my SRX too. That thing railed like nobody's business

I have simmons and never had the problem on the icy roads until I got rid of my studded track and went to the ripsaw with no studs. I think that studs will cure the problem on icy roads.

I had the same problem this week, no studs an very scary on the ice and in icey corners. I have the 6 and 4 with the 6 on the outside. Great in snow and packed conditions. I had to back off the ski preasure a bit though, took it down to 16 threads on the front shocks from 20, that helped a little. What is everyone else doing for ski preasure on the 05 with simmons. I am also going to stud, 96 down the center V patter per Might's suggestion.

8)

Ski Doo Revs do the same thing with their copy of the Simmons ski. It scared the crap out of me on icy roads. I tried everything to cure it that was mentioned above. I put on C&A single runners and it now drives like a snowmobile should.

Thanks for the info. I will try to switch the longer carbides to the outside to see if it helps.

Glad to hear I am not alone though.

Otis

Back