• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ski-doo Elite sells fo $21,000.00 on ebay

Preacher

Expert
I would not have believed it if I did not follow it myself. The seller was from Old Forge New York. It was in very good condition with about 500 miles on it.Had a crack in the mirror but overall a very nice unit. I have owned 2 elites and I sold one 2 years ago. I told myself I would never sell this one but my Elite has only 450 miles on it and people that have seen it think it is a brand new unit. No scratches , no dings, absolutely mint. It has an additional fan that works independently from the radiator and it dissipates the heat tremendously. It draws cold air in through the vents . There is absolutely no burnt marks on the cowl in the engine compartment at all. this fan set up corrects the only major problem people had with their Elites.I hate ebay but it sure is tempting. One thing is I dont think I will ever find another Elite this nice out there again

NO EBAY LINK ALLOWED

It still has a couple of days left. It has what I would say a lot of damage for a sled with 99 miles . I know I am probably more critical than most people but he said he ran it into another sled in his garage. He has more than a few other scratches on it. that will probably cost him about $3000 in his auction

I find it surprising that anybody ever bought one of those things. Now I guess they're going to collectors who think that they're special because they... failed to sell? The number of them made typically is NOT a good reason to "collect" them... unless you're trying to buy a Tucker car, but they got forced out by anti-competitive practices and fighting "the man" rather than by producing a shoddy product.

The only reason there are very few of these monstrosities is because NOBODY WANTED THEM!

They did not fail to sell. BRP made about 500 in 2004 and about 250 in2005 . they all sold. The reason BRP halted production is that ontario threatened to ban use of them on their trails. I think that they reversed their position on the elite but by then it was enough to discourage some of the decision makers to halt production. If no one wants them why does the price of keep going up. You may not like the Elite but my guess is you have never ridden one.

Customer demand is what drives manufacturing. Not strange threats of banning. And the world is bigger than just Ontario.

The simple fact is that IF there was sufficient demand for them (selling 1500 is no indication that there is a high demand, just that there is a demand for 1500), then they would have kept selling them.

Customer demand is why these units are getting crazy prices for the last 3 years. people like these units. people that use them love these. What is your point that because you do not like them the are no good. Come off it .Manufactures build limited quantities all the time. I can tell you that there is a demand for them but Brp is not going to bring them back until the economy gets much better.It may be 10-15 years from now but they will bring them back. Then you can complain even more about them

Just look at the Sno Scoot. No one wanted them in 1988-91 but now they are getting more for them than when they were new. I'm sure the Elite is a fantastic ride for those who wanted it. Like the scoot it just needs one person who is willing to pay the price.

You guys aren't understanding economics at all.
Fact is that A FEW people want snoscoots, similar to a FEW people wanting elites. That number exceeds the number available... but NOT BY MUCH!
*** THE KEY IS THIS:
You don't just need DEMAND, you need SUFFICIENT DEMAND. There will always be a few oddballs who want something really weird, or that makes no sense at all... but you need to have a product that appeals to ENOUGH people to be worth producing IN MASS.

If there was enough demand, YOU CAN BE ASSURED that they would continue producing them. The only reason to NOT produce them is BECAUSE IT WOULD LOSE MONEY TO DO SO!!! They can't sell ENOUGH of them for a HIGH ENOUGH PRICE to justify producing them!

That means that there is NO DEMAND for them. Why? Because they are a very NICHE type of product!

A FEW people would REALLY like them, but NOT NEARLY ENOUGH. NO DEMAND.

Let me suggest a scenario: I want to start manufacturing ARMY TANKS and sell them as road vehicles. I'm sure I could sell a few of them to some real whack jobs with more money than brains... but do you think I'm going to be selling them to soccer moms? or anybody who wants to get better than 0 mpg? or anybody who wants an unobstructed view of everything around them? or anybody who wants to keep up with the highway?

Very unlikely.

As I said, niche market, sell a few, not a lot.
THERE IS SIMPLY NO DEMAND FOR ARMY TANKS ON THE ROAD! Neither is there demand for elite.

Phazernut said:
Just look at the Sno Scoot. No one wanted them in 1988-91 but now they are getting more for them than when they were new. I'm sure the Elite is a fantastic ride for those who wanted it. Like the scoot it just needs one person who is willing to pay the price.
some of the people that own Elites can not ride anything else Some i have talked to have serious physical limitations. Some are getting up in age and this is how they continue to enjoy snowmobiling. Many that ride Elites are amazed at how great these tanks ride. Even young guys that would not want their friends to see them in one of these have admitted to me that they are a blast to ride. I love ridding all 4 of my yamahas but Brp did a great job with this unit. The engineering is top notch.Anything that keeps people in our sport is a good thing. I am aware it is a niche product but it has been a lot of fun for quite a few people who might not ever get out and do what we all love to do. I did not intend this thread to be testy . That is not my intention and if it was taken that way I apologize. I wish everyone a great ridding season even if some of us see it differently.

If I had the money and they were legal for trail use around here I would sooo buy an Elite. It would be a blast! I've seen the videos on youtube and they seem to pull pretty good, climb hills and look quite sporty actually.

I'm not sure about all this talk about supply vs demand and what not. I think the price is a little high for a toy we can only use for a couple months a year. And thats why they didn't sell well in this neck of the woods. well...that and I don't think we can trail ride them? I'm not totally sure on that one actually...but I don't think we can trail ride them.

I agree the prices are high.I bought my first one used in 2005 for $12,000. it was literally brand new. I sold it in 2008 for $16750. The buyer used it once and sold it for about the same price a few months later. Mint Elites are selling for around $20,000, sometimes more. If you look at the number of views on the Ebay auctions it typically gets over 10,000 hits in any auction. The claim that these did not sell because the were a shoddy product is nonsense. your assessment of these sleds is correct. They are well built and are a blast to drive. I hope they bring them back but until the economic situation gets much better I dont think we will see a new release. They are trail legal in the New England states and Quebec and New Brunswick. I have seen post and pictures of people riding them in New york and UP so unless your area has local restrictions you could ride them on the trails. Also Ontario does allow them even thought initially they talked about not allowing them.

$12,000 isn't so bad by todays standards, but if they sold it today it would probably $20,000, since a top of the line new sled is 12,000 to 15,000 or more.

We can't ride the side by side ATVs or UTVs on the atv trails around here either. It sucks, cause I think a good pumped up Rhino or Razor would be a blast on the atv trails as well. The DNR around here is so stupid. The governor has threatened to fire them all and re-hire...I hope he does.

Back