• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skid install 2012 XTX

brmurph

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 APEX XTX
I have read that the 2012 XTX skid is an easy install and it was going well until I started lining up the rear bolts. The skid seems to be about an inch or so too far back and not sure how to get the bolt holes lined up. The front Bolts where a piece of cake (usually the hard ones :)... I have tried it with the torsion springs unhooked and hooked I have tried wrapping a strap around the track to the rails and compressing, that seemed to get one side close but I didn't like how it was pushing against the track so I went over the torsion springs (one strap on each side) and now it seems worse then ever.

Any advise?

Thanks.

Take the skid out. Measure between the two mounting holes on the tunnel. Tighten your strap ( I use one on each side of suspension) until the distance between your mounting holes matches the distance between the mounting holes on the tunnel.
She'll slide right in! (kinda). Minimal swearing involved, unless I spill my cocktail.

I released the springs and still has to strap if remember right. Like MSGT VAN said

Where exactly does the strap need to go? I tried to strap from the rear a-arm over the torsion spring to the front a-arm, I also tried a strap from the frame rail over the track/torsion spring and back to the frame rail neither seem to help.

I don't really want to take the skid back out if I can help it, at 144 inches its heavy and I have already locktited the front bolts in :-(.

Thanks.

with the springs off, you have to collapse the shock. that you are having a hard time, i would say the nitrogen charge in your shock is good. i usually use a ratchet strap from the front w arm at the bottom to the rail to where the upper shock mounts to the suspension as close to centre as is possible. usually have to move it up and down slightly to get the bolts in but i use a pry bar or chunk of 2x4 to help lift/hold it up.

I unhooked the springs and added a third strap and it still won't budge. Is it possible the shock is frozen (not literally as I am in Texas) and just won't compress?

I have never used a strap on the XTX to get the back bolts in! I hang by hoist and use a jack under the track to lift it. Springs undone and little bit of a pry with a 2x4, Bobs your Uncle!

Can you post a picture of the shaft/pivot arm where the rear shock and relay rods attach by the rails. I might know what your problem is, but don't know how to easily explain what to look for. If easier you can just text me the pic. 717-821-9639

IMG_0660.JPG IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0662.JPG

Will these do?

Last edited:
I see your problem....give me a second and I will find a picture to post.

The lower shock mount needs to be more vertical like in this photo. If the shock gets compressed a bit when the skid is out, the mount can easily flip over center and end up down like on your skid. just undo your straps and with a pry bar flip it back up. With torsion springs unhooked it will line up with no force. I've never had to use a ratchet strap on an xtx suspension!

xtx skid.jpg

You know I wondered about that but since I did not take anything apart in that area I quickly ruled it out. Let me give that a try and thank you very much!

The lower shock mount needs to be more vertical like in this photo. If the shock gets compressed a bit when the skid is out, the mount can easily flip over center and end up down like on your skid. just undo your straps and with a pry bar flip it back up. With torsion springs unhooked it will line up with no force. I've never had to use a ratchet strap on an xtx suspension!

View attachment 142041

Hibshman25 thank you! I feel a little silly now that I did not catch that as it is literally a less then 30 second fix.. Anyone else ever notice that the longer you struggle with a problem usually the easier the fix. As you suggested no straps needed so now I agree this is a very simple skid install (only my second one though :).

FYI I bought and just installed the Barn Of Parts soft start clutch spring and looking forward to slower starts in forward and reverse.

Thanks all!

View attachment 142041

I know I have been in that situation before!!

Back