• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skis on a powder apex

kingtut

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex
I have a turboed apex with a 144" expert x skid in and it seems to put a lot of pressure up on the front, darting is freaking insane. The problem is that the sled does not float at all, ill let off the flipper and the sled nose dives into the snow throwing it all into my face. So i'm curious on what you guys run for skis. I was looking on flea bay and found some 8" powder hounds and many 7" ones too. I hear these are a nice addition to any sled. Looking around I also found simmions flexi skis and like the idea of dual carbides. C&A is pretty cool too buy I can't seem to find any used powder skis anywhere. What are your guys thoughts and opinions?

I put on Simmons gen 3,and i love them.best thing i payed money for after the turbo.lifted the nose and is much better than stock on hard snow.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have an Apex XTX that I have used off trail in Wyoming. I am finding that it plows, as expected, with stock skis.

Since this is only an annual trip, I was thinking of getting a pair of MTX skis for a little more flotation. This is a 2012 sled, do I need to be looking for anything special for this year or newer, or is the spindle the same on most apexes, or any current Yamaha 4-stroke (not counting the Yamacats)

Thanks guys. PM me if you have a set of skis you want to get rid of. Keep in mind, I am not planning on spending much, as these may get 200 miles/year. Haydays is my next option to score some cheap skis.

as long as you get all the mounting hardware for a 2009 apex mtx and re-use your stock rubbers, they bolt right up. i run a set of 09 mtx skis on my 2011 apex xtx with all the hardware after a scare my brother had using washers to make up the diference in spacing on his rx with same skis. with the ski shim mod from the tec pages it handles so well i have a hard time getting it away from my gf.

as long as you get all the mounting hardware for a 2009 apex mtx and re-use your stock rubbers, they bolt right up. i run a set of 09 mtx skis on my 2011 apex xtx with all the hardware after a scare my brother had using washers to make up the diference in spacing on his rx with same skis. with the ski shim mod from the tec pages it handles so well i have a hard time getting it away from my gf.
I have the 2016 xtx will this work on mine? I am planning to put the VK pro skis on which I believe share the same mounting hardware as the mtx ski. thanks

they should work but i have not played with those skis yet.

they should work but i have not played with those skis yet.
There are a few on here that have used the VK Pro skis with good results just ordering the right mounting hardware to mount this ski is the problem, there is a few vids on youtube showing the VK ski on their apex's I believe the vids are out of Russia or over that way somewhere and work very well keeping the Apex afloat in the deeper stuff.

Back