• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slp mohawk skis set up? Suspension?

ryan11007

Extreme
Bought new slp mohawk skis. Having issues with trying to turn when I'm trail riding. I find they really grab.

Any one have these skis. How do u have everything set up?

When I turn right. The right ski goes in the air. Same as left Turning left. How do I fix this?

Bought new slp mohawk skis. Having issues with trying to turn when I'm trail riding. I find they really grab.

Any one have these skis. How do u have everything set up?

When I turn right. The right ski goes in the air. Same as left Turning left. How do I fix this?
How much is it lifting the Ski? Which skid? I let my linter strap out and installed a 160# spring to lighten the steering effort. That also induced some inside ski lift but prefer a bit of lift as that lets me know I’m close to limit of my corner speed.

How much is it lifting the Ski? Which skid? I let my linter strap out and installed a 160# spring to lighten the steering effort. That also induced some inside ski lift but prefer a bit of lift as that lets me know I’m close to limit of my corner speed.

Its 141 xtx se. Ski lifts 6inch or more depending on speed in the corner. I have 180 lbs front spring. Limiter strap is on its last hole.

I have a '15 xtx with Mohawks. How much pre-load do you have on your 180lb spring? If you run it with little to no preload (ie just a turn or two tight from loose spring) like the guys running tuners your steering will be quite heavy. I have a 160lb center spring so a little different. In loose snow I run 16 threads showing between lock ring bottomed out on bottom and the adjustment ring. On hardpack or warm days I run 18-19 threads. This is right around half way up. I get very little ski lift now and essentially no push except in the most loose conditions. I also went to the SLP carbide. I had shaper bars and it was just too much. I have the limiters stock, hygear dual pressures front and rear, the hygear linkage in the back and 141 grand master studs, but was running Mohawks before that and still needed to get the weight off the skis. I probably go 230-240lbs dressed/packs loaded down.

I'd crank up the preload on your center spring until you get a little push than back it off. See if it works for you or if the bumps get too harsh. Easy first thing to adjust. Good luck. I find the vipers can handle really well but you really need to play with your settings to get it there.

I have a 14 & a 16 XTX both with the Mohawks; I have been running 9" Bergstrom triple points, and there is a lot of steering effort, particularly in hard pack conditions, or at slow speeds. When the trails soften up a bit, I don't notice the hard steering as much, but the sleds still rail in the corners. I just switched to the SLP 6" carbides with the "Keel Blades" on my 2016, and the steering effort was reduced, but more importantly, the Keel Blades really reduced my sled's darting. I put 140 miles on yesterday, and it was the most enjoyable 140 miles I have had on that sled. I still needed some effort to turn at times, but there was virtually no darting, and my sled still rails in the corners.

I have a 14 & a 16 XTX both with the Mohawks; I have been running 9" Bergstrom triple points, and there is a lot of steering effort, particularly in hard pack conditions, or at slow speeds. When the trails soften up a bit, I don't notice the hard steering as much, but the sleds still rail in the corners. I just switched to the SLP 6" carbides with the "Keel Blades" on my 2016, and the steering effort was reduced, but more importantly, the Keel Blades really reduced my sled's darting. I put 140 miles on yesterday, and it was the most enjoyable 140 miles I have had on that sled. I still needed some effort to turn at times, but there was virtually no darting, and my sled still rails in the corners.

Ok thanks I basically have the same set up. I guess it's not going to get better... expensive skis that dont steer good on trail.

Ok thanks I basically have the same set up. I guess it's not going to get better... expensive skis that dont steer good on trail.

There are threads that talk about how to reduce ski pressure, and thereby reduce steering effort, but I have not tried anything yet because while the Mohawks may require some steering effort, they are a very positive ski on the trail, and my sled goes where I point it. Off trail, they are super. I think they are a great ski, just do the suspension adjustments that will lighten up your steering a little, and you will love them.

Back