• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

slydog skis

Re: Slydogs

xcr5 said:
Kabuta, I didn't try the sly dogs but I did try the Simmons for several hundred miles and didn't like them at all on the attack. Steering became very heavy with the simmons (way to much ski preasure). I made several adjustments to take weight off the skis and still didn't like the steering effort.

Interesting - I thought pretty much everyone liked the Simmons. I definately don't want heavy steering.

AHHHH, this whole ski thing pisses me off. Why can't Yamaha put a good ski on their sleds in the first place!!!!. I'm so happy with every aspect of my Attak, hell I don't even mind the handwarmers, but the skis....

Attachments

• P3240011.JPG
    P3240011.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 94

Do not go with the Duellies on the Slydog, total waste of money. Just order the skisavers from SRXSPEC or Bergstrom direct and you will be a happy camper.

The hard turning with Simmons requires shimming to eliminate, that is all. Stock the ski has too much pressure on the front.

Jim

sydog skis

I ran slydogs for 4000 miles last winter on 06 attak. Ran great. Set them up per Allen Ulmer's specs 1/8 toe in. Ski savers and Bergstom triple point carbides 6"(times 3). No darting til 3500 miles when skisavers wore out. New skissavers problem solved. Skis still look like new. Ski savers are a great product as well as slydog skis and bergstom skags IMHO.

Studdog....I am so happy to hear your report. I have Slydogs/ski savers/bergstrom triple points/shims sitting in the garage right now to go on the 07 Attak. Only diff is my Slydogs are Powderhounds and my triple points are 8" since I'm switching out to a 1.5 inch track and he thought I'd want the extra bite.

I'm curious, did you shim? Mr Bergstrom recommended I do...I haven't actually done the install yet.

craze1cars, I didn't shim because I thought skis sat correctly or were balanced front to rear okay. I may try shimming on my 07 to see if any difference. The setup perfromed so well I didn't tinker with it. studdog.

jimmie d said:
8" is an awful lot of carbide for a Slydog, recommended is 4" or 6" for very aggressive riders.

Jim
That was my thought as well...but Scott Bergstrom seems to know his stuff and he claims to several customers with his setup on Slydogs. So for now I have faith in his recommendation after spending a solid 1/2 hour on the phone with him talking about my whole setup and riding style. Only time will tell if I fell victim of a guy who was trying to sell me more expensive carbides, or if he was giving me genuinely good advice...his earning my future business depends on it, and I believe he's smart enough to recognize that. I'll know much more when January rolls around...can't come soon enough for me now that the 07 is actually sitting in the garage for me to stare at for the next 6 months!

I've ran the Simmons, C&A's, stock, Woodies, and now Slydogs with skisavers and Bergstrom 8" plus I shim. This is the perfect set up for my sled. No push in the corners, steers light, and the ski's float on top of the deep stuff. I am aligned perfectly straight. I do run Ohlins and have a M10. It took 3 seasons, but now it works great. I do want to switch shocks to a shock that has rebound control also.

The Apex is very different from the RX and requires less carbide with the Slydogs. Both SRXSPEC and Slydog recommend 4" on the Apex unless you are really aggressive than go 6". Rider forward puts far more weight on the carbide/ski than the old riding position. Ask any DOO rider.

Jim

jimmie d said:
The Apex is very different from the RX and requires less carbide with the Slydogs. Both SRXSPEC and Slydog recommend 4" on the Apex unless you are really aggressive than go 6". Rider forward puts far more weight on the carbide/ski than the old riding position. Ask any DOO rider.

Jim

Apex yes. I was referring to an Attak that will be changed to 1.5 inch lug track. Scott Bergstrom told me about the same as you just said....4" or 6" carbide is recommended for Apex with unstudded 1.25 inch track depending on riding style, but he recommended a bump to 8" for my 136 x 1.5 Attak for aggressive trail riding. He said the long track tends to put some more weight to the back again and take a little off the skis, plus it will tend to push forward more than a shorty, especially with the added traction of deeper lugs...thus his recommendation.

And please don't get me wrong...I'm not saying you or anyone else is right or wrong (except those few here who have claimed to actually dialed in and ridden their perfect setup...they're RIGHT.) Obviously I haven't even had the chance to ride to be able to make that call. Just relaying what I was told (and sold!) by a reputable expert. Time will tell if I overshot on getting the 8 inchers...

For what it's worth, I'm a 30 year Doo guy coming off an 04 Renegade 136/1.5" undstudded that had dual runner Precisions with 6"/8" standard carbide setup that worked very well. So I'm certainly familiar with rider forward, but am 100% green/inexperienced with setting up an Attak, so I'm relying heavily on people here and others for setup advice...certainly do appreciate all thoughts and tips.

The reason you HAVE to use the skisavers with the Apex line is the totally exposed carbide is too aggressive, the skisavers allow half the carbide runner to be recessed into the ski. Slydog themselves fount the rider forward of the Apex caused this problem with their ski, other non-rider forward models did not have a problem.

Just try and see, he is a great guy and will exchange if necessary.

Jim

Indy said:
I've ran the Simmons, C&A's, stock, Woodies, and now Slydogs with skisavers and Bergstrom 8" plus I shim. This is the perfect set up for my sled. No push in the corners, steers light, and the ski's float on top of the deep stuff. I am aligned perfectly straight. I do run Ohlins and have a M10. It took 3 seasons, but now it works great. I do want to switch shocks to a shock that has rebound control also.

Indy, what kind of sled is this you have set up? If it took 3 seasons I presume this is not an Attak or Apex.

Good info as I am torn between simmons, C&A razors and slydogs...

If you want easy steering with good control go Slydog,If you want great control but don't mind stiffer steering go C&A. I wouldn't go simmons unless your off trail alot. MHO

Back