• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Smelling coolant burning (not exhaust)

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
So for the last few rides I'm smelling coolant, like there is drip on the engine somewhere getting hot and burning.

It's not coming from the exhaust though as it's not draining the coolant tank and it's pretty random when it happens. My coolant bottle has dropped ever so slightly over the last month or so with about a thousand miles on it.

I've looked everywhere for it but can't find the leak and it's not coming out when it's in storage. I had this one happen before behind the exhaust but it's dry back there.

Just did a once over on mine after a small trip to the County, where one can really turn one of these on many many times!

Had to pull exhaust to check my chain tensioner, and after 600 miles or so it was 2.5 turns out as usual!

During this process I noticed a cooling hose that goes to the turbo was leaking a bit with the clamp being quite loose!
It’s a very short hose that is out back and on the bottom of turbo, and whereas it sits on top of the motor a slight leak would evaporate mostly. Not sure if it can be seen by just removing side panels and hood, whereas I noticed it when my muffler was off and I was checking clamps under there!

But it’s a coincidence that you mentioned a slight leak and I not knowingly had one!

Didn’t have to add any, it was still on the fill cold line!

Had a leak off oil cooler area before

Attachments

• 50599207-C09F-4559-804B-5846585E441A.jpeg
    50599207-C09F-4559-804B-5846585E441A.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 182
x2 on oil cooler area and I was smelling coolant burning as well. Tightened the hose clamps there. Also some hose clamps near the thermostat were leaking slightly too. This only happened after about 1000kms and some cold weather on a brand new 2022.

Check along the front of the motor if coolant is running down underneath the oil cooler, there’s a couple hoses on the cooler possibility those clamps need tightening
See I haven't been able to find any in the pan or areas on the floor. It's a slow leak but I'm below the cold line now so I have lost some coolant.

Get a radiator pressure test kit at harbor freight. Pump it up to 15psi and start looking everywhere, youll find it. Do this cold engine and 99% of leaks will appear under pressure. I do this to my logging equip every spring to find any dribbles as its not uncommon after a cold winter and many are so tiny they just burn off. Found many small leaks on sleds this way too.

Last edited:
If it’s burning it you won’t find it as easy. Tighten the banjo bolts on the side turbo

What is the torque spec on those bolts.

I can see them but do I have to pull the muffler or just the shield to get to them?

Looks like oil cooler.

How deep is it in there? Pull the coolant line and then replace the orings?

Attachments

• PXL_20230326_185020301_copy_2040x1536.jpg
    PXL_20230326_185020301_copy_2040x1536.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 160
Good find.. I need to check mine as I’ve also smelled antifreeze this year.

Good find.. I need to check mine as I’ve also smelled antifreeze this year.
I found another one by the rad cap. I found a puddle that was coming off the tcl and looked around like no other at the pump and couldn't find it. Pulled the air box off and there is was.

Back