• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter rebuild

Dynomax666

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 apex
Wondering if this starter is worth rebuilding or if it is even a factory yamaha syarter? I bought this machine with 3400km on it rode it the rest of the season without doing any maintenance... Started it this summer and starter was bad-- replaced now wondering if I just toss this or rebuild and keep it. I don't see any evidence on the bolts that it was replaced and I had to cut that tab off lower engine to remove.... It's an 07 phazer that has 4700km on it now

The magnets1/3 the way around started sliding and one of the four brushes was locked up. Can't seem to attach photos due to size

Looks pretty limited on what you can get from Yamaha for parts to rebuild. Brushes, seal and some nuts and bolts. Not sure about aftermarket

If it were just the brushes I would rebuild but to glue the Magnets back on I would say not worth chance of glue failing again.

replace when magnets fail. the one i have unglued and broke a magnet at 12000 km mark. brother put aftermarket one in and it failed after one season. might have been done once before as the tab was already cut when he got to it i think. way easier to do the starter with the tab removed. dealer asked us how to do it that way lol.

replace when magnets fail. the one i have unglued and broke a magnet at 12000 km mark. brother put aftermarket one in and it failed after one season. might have been done once before as the tab was already cut when he got to it i think. way easier to do the starter with the tab removed. dealer asked us how to do it that way lol.
We’ll updateon that. I was going to go oem but for $650 and the first one lasted only 4200km why chance it again. Some poor quality chinese one no doubt but it was $213 taxes in. I could flip this thing on it s side and do it on the trail now with that tab cut off. If the oem (still not sold it is as there was zero part number on it unlike every other Yamaha part I’ve ever seen) it didn’tlast long. The new Chinese one seems to start the same as the one that came off

Back