• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter????

Sportfury

Extreme
Website
jakesauto.com
Need to put a new starter on sled. This is my second one you need to tap on it too make it work. I put a used one on because of price and availability. They are 575.00 for a Yamaha OEM has anyone used one of those Chinese one with good luck.

I wonder if my Dad can rebuild these things? All that usually goes in a starter is brushes and bearings. Any of you Manitoba TY riders have one that is pooched? I'd love to give one to my Dad to see what he could do!

Im sure you could rebuild it yourself. Just look at the exploded view on a OEM yamaha parts site. Looks very simple. clean it up replace probably the brushes and brush terminal maybe a o ring or two and your done. Cleaning everything up is prolly most of the problem and possbly a few parts.

The biggest problem with Japanese stuff is finding the parts. Part suppliers don't have any for them most of the time, so measure and replace with American equivalent if you can find it in the books!

I put in one of the Chinese ones last year. Lasted about 1000 miles. Just a couple of weeks ago it started howling while cranking the motor. I took it off and got it apart. In the back of the starter, behind the brushes, they have a bushing there. The stock one has a needle bearing. The bushing was bone dry and spinning in the cover. I had kept my old starter from last year, and was able to use the needle bearing and back cover on the Chinese starter. It works now, but I don't have a lot of faith in it. The armature looks smaller than the original also. I can't rebuild the original one. The armature pretty much exploded and took out the magnets. But it lasted 12000 miles. I'll probably buy a new one this summer, just for piece of mind. I think portyamaha has them for around $450

I wonder if my Dad can rebuild these things? All that usually goes in a starter is brushes and bearings. Any of you Manitoba TY riders have one that is pooched? I'd love to give one to my Dad to see what he could do!
I have one that is pooched. I thot it was the brushes but it turned out to be the armature.
Used to rebuild starters and alt. back in the day in the old small town shop when everything wasn't a Bic lighter. Bearings, brushes and bushings is pretty much all one ever needed to get going again.

Pony up for the Yamaha starter and have piece of mind, the last thing you need is a complete starter failure and having the gears ground up and slip into the motor. Which would be a whole lot more to money to rebuild that motor than to replace the starter with the oem starter. Just my .02

Back