• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

STARTING AFTER STORAGE?

CENA

Expert
I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD QUESTION, BUT WHAT WAS THE TRICK TO STARTING THE RS VECTOR AFTER STORAGE? SOMETHING ABOUT BLOWING IN A FUEL LINE TO GET IT PRIMED? THANKS!

I don't know about blowing in a fuel line but taking off the air cleaner cover and a few shots of carb cleaner in the carbs will fire it up. Carb cleaner is easier on the motor than starting fluid.

pour a teaspoon of gas in the cyls. this will run it long enough to make vaccum to work the pulse line on the fuel pump (if it is a mechanical one) to get the fuel up to the carbs. can take a couple of tries some times but it works. if the fuel in the tank has no fuel stabilizer in it change it out for fresh.

Pull out the free end of the gas tank vent line and blow into it to pressurize the tank. It is the clear tube running down the inside of the engine compartment behind the clutches. Just dont inhale.

Yup blow into the gas tank via the vent hose and precharge it with your breath and hold the pressure to it by blocking the vent hose with your thumb while you crank it over.

Why not just turn on the gas shut off valve and turn the key until it starts? Why wouldn't this engine be like any other carbed motor? Just curious. I'll have to be getting the girlfriends Vector going soon so it wouldbe nice to know. Thanks.

1CS

1CrazySledder said:
Why not just turn on the gas shut off valve and turn the key until it starts? Why wouldn't this engine be like any other carbed motor? Just curious. I'll have to be getting the girlfriends Vector going soon so it wouldbe nice to know. Thanks.

1CS

Seems to take a while to get the gas to the carbs is all lots of cranking.

IF you really don't think your getting gas and are blowing into the tank may I suggest you blow into a full one.

Thinks that helps!

Pulled mine out of storage and it fired up rather easily but yes I did have to crank it some so make sure your battery is charged.

Mike

Sled Dog said:
Yup blow into the gas tank via the vent hose and precharge it with your breath and hold the pressure to it by blocking the vent hose with your thumb while you crank it over.

What a great way to start these after storage! I just tried it after reading this thread and it fired right up after sitting untouched since February! Only cranked over a few times before firing. Last year I started it just by cranking intil it fired and it barely caught before I cranked the battery dead.

Thanks for the tip! ;)!

twomorestrokes said:
Sled Dog said:

What a great way to start these after storage! I just tried it after reading this thread and it fired right up after sitting untouched since February! Only cranked over a few times before firing. Last year I started it just by cranking intil it fired and it barely caught before I cranked the battery dead.

Thanks for the tip! ;)!

No problem but you should thank Lazybastard he is the one who posted the trick first or at least it was one of his posts where I learned the trick.

I knew it was posted quite awhile back but I had forgotten about it until reading it again. I'll be using this trick again, Thanks LB.

I thought it was wierd to blow in to the gas tank to start a carbed 4 stroke. I read that and laughed. Thought someone was putting me on. Well yesterday I tried to start my Vector and cranked and cranked. Then I recalled this info said what the heck I'll try it and pow the engine started after siting for 6 months. Must admit the Apex fired as soon as I turned the key.

Back