• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starting issue

BordnBill

Expert
Noticed last week on my first ride, my sled didn't want to start. Thought maybe the battery was too cold from the drive (only 25 out). Let it sit there for a second, and it still didn't start. The gauges and fuel pump sound good on the initial turn of the key and everything looks bright on the screen. Then I go to start and just a click from the relay area. After I try to start it a few more times, eventually, the sled will fire right up. Did this throughout the day. Well, today I tried to start it and it did it again. Just a click and then after a few more tries, it will fire up. Doesn't sound like the battery is trying to hard to start at all... fires right up, when it decides to engage. Is this maybe a relay issue? It's a lightweight battery that is only a year or so old.

Buy a new starter relay, problem gone. If you have to you can jump the relay posts to start sled.

HYFLYR said:
Buy a new starter relay, problem gone. If you have to you can jump the relay posts to start sled.

Yep, took it in to the dealer last night. They didn't think it was the battery by the issue it was having. Would do it myself, but had them do it since it has the Y.E.S. warranty. Got to get it all in before my warranty runs out in February.

My starter relay freezes all the time. I unfortunately have an unheated garage and when temps dip below freezing for extended periods of time, or she's on the trailer for extended times in low temps, it's pretty much a given that my relay freezes. I now carry an extra one in my pack and try to test if it'll start before I get up to the hill. It's a royal pain to have to swap relays constantly though. Nothing like getting razzed by my AC friends as I have to warm the relay on the truck defrost.

I've had this same problem since I bought my sled(used)... but since there's no deealership a snowmobiler must find a way, here is what I've done with mine

Get a starter button from the local Napa/Lordco, make sure it comes with a rubber button cover. They are less than $20, then wire it directly to the posts on your Starter Relay and mount it beside your key... I had problems at first with the button freezing on powder days but have since krazy glued the button cover and greased the button itself incase water gets under the rubber peice. I simply used some wire that I had kicking around with some wiring eyelets and heat shrink tubing to keep everything clean and safe from grounding out. hopefully this helps someone out, I like mine so far, especially since on my first ride I had it on I rocked the sled over backwards and bent my key and messed the ignition up, it was better than removing a panel and screwdrivering the post everytime i had to start up.

Attachments

• button mod.gif
    button mod.gif
    296.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Button Mod 2.gif
    Button Mod 2.gif
    340.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Button Mod 3.gif
    Button Mod 3.gif
    327.8 KB · Views: 100
That is a super cool idea! What gauge wire is that? I haven't had a close look at how to jump the relay, but I may have to know. What happens if you accidentally hit the button when your sled is running? Just trying to full proof this thing because some of my #*$&@ friends like to push buttons on my crap without them knowing what it will do.

I used 10 Gauge wire but would imagine 12 would work aswell.
Haven't hit the button after it's running, it would probably just make a grinding sound like in a car but not gunna test that out, those starter buttons have a pretty strong spring in them, you'd have to bump it pretty hard to make it engage.
Also remember that this button will turn the sled over even if the ignition is off for anyone with little kids running around their shop.

I've only tested mine in -10C/14F and warmer, not sure how it will do in the colder months yet.

Back