• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stator gone bad!

Groomerdriver

TY 4 Stroke Master
Looks like my 05 Vector with 7500 miles has a fried stator. Yesterday when I went to start it to go for a ride...turned over 1X and that was it. Tried jumping the battery but no go. Thought battery was kaput as it was the original battery.

Put in new battery and started right up. When for a ride and towards the end of the ride we stopped at an intersection and shut the machines off. Went to start mine up...dead as a door nail!

Towed (belt is a beeyotch to remove and reinstall!!) it to a nearby establishment and they had a jumper box. Started right up but lites are flickering, and my guess is the stator is just about gone. Loaded it up pnt he trailer before I shut it off. She would not turn over again.

I've got the battery plugged into my Optimate 3 so the dealer can start it to get it off the trailer. It'll be at the dealer by early this afternoon.

Thank God for the YES warranty!

I was in fear for this with mine also. Glad to see you got 7500 out of her before it went. I have 5400 on mine so hopefully it'll make the season. If you don't want Up Brett's from his rage I might be interested on keeping a spare on the shelf. Lovely that it's on the bottom side too. :o|

RSVECTORFREAK said:
I was in fear for this with mine also. Glad to see you got 7500 out of her before it went. I have 5400 on mine so hopefully it'll make the season. If you don't want Up Brett's from his rage I might be interested on keeping a spare on the shelf. Lovely that it's on the bottom side too. :o|

Mine's covered under the YES warranty so I'm OK there. Thank God because my warranty runs out in March. Jump on Brett's if you want to.

I read somewhere here that they improved the way the stators are built so hopefully mine will last for a good long time!

Dang Groomer how many years of YES warranty did you have?? You sure got you're $$$$ out of that!

RSVECTORFREAK said:
Dang Groomer how many years of YES warranty did you have?? You sure got you're $$$$ out of that!

I think back then it was 5 yrs wasn't it? Having the warranty sure helped when I called Yamaha to talk about certain "issues"......that they took care of! ;)!

Good thing you are covered, I just replaced mine on my 05 Vector. Part alone was $300 and I did all the work. Only had 3 years of coverage when I bought it. Working fine now, but kind of po that the part went bad. Only thing I could tell is it looked like the wire was burned where it comes out of the coils going to the harness. New stator looked to be reinforced in that area with epoxy to maybe minimize vibration. Good luck with yours. If you have any questions about testing it or if you decide to replace it yourself let me know. You don't need to pull the engine like the manual says so that will save you some time.

I guess I did well then. My Vector died this past weekend from a bad stator. Mine has 12,600 miles on it. bad part is it was only 50 miles into my first ride of the season. If anyone has any ideas on how to make the replacement easier it would be appreciated.

Finally got my sled back today. The bill ended up to be $22...that was for the oil the that had to be drained and replaced. ;)!

But I lost 2 weeks of riding. I could have done this myself in a couple of nights in the garage. But I did save $300... :o|

Hey Groomer! I see you sled is up for sale on Johndee...Did the stator push you over the edge finally!! Getting a new one???

RSVECTORFREAK said:
Hey Groomer! I see you sled is up for sale on Johndee...Did the stator push you over the edge finally!! Getting a new one???

Blown track and stud thru heat exchanger have done me in. No job = no funds for repair. Might as well sell to somebody who has the money....nicely setup trail for cheap!

Back