• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steering post

Jay31

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Thundercat
Hi guys need some help had a little accident lol steering post completely bent!!What kind of job I’m i looking at to change the steering post??Thx

Hi guys need some help had a little accident lol steering post completely bent!!What kind of job I’m i looking at to change the steering post??Thx
That's one of the easier jobs. The nut on the bottom is the only hangup as it's needing a thin wrench.

I’m in the process of installing a hurricane performance hemi head and to do this I had to remove the steering post. It’s an easy job to get the post in/out. Remove the 2 10mm bolts on the upper collar. Next remove the boost box. From there you will need a 3/8 drive with a long extension (18 inches) with a 17mm socket. turn the skies slightly to the right, then remove 17mm nut at base of post. Position the extension/socket to run parallel to the steering post, towards the center of the sled. Next, From outside of the sled remove three push rivets holding the rubber steering boot to the sled. There are more than three push rivets on the rubber boot. Remove three that are directly below the steering post, if you visualize pushing the steering post through the bottom of the sled. After removing the push rivets. You need to fold back the rubber boot and remove the 17mm nut from the bottom of the steering post. To do this, use a 3/8 ratchet with a 3” extension and standard depth 17mm socket. With the bottom nut removed the steering post is free. The manual suggests replacing the 2 nuts rather than reinstalling the ones removed from the steering post.

I’m in the process of installing a hurricane performance hemi head and to do this I had to remove the steering post. It’s an easy job to get the post in/out. Remove the 2 10mm bolts on the upper collar. Next remove the boost box. From there you will need a 3/8 drive with a long extension (18 inches) with a 17mm socket. turn the skies slightly to the right, then remove 17mm nut at base of post. Position the extension/socket to run parallel to the steering post, towards the center of the sled. Next, From outside of the sled remove three push rivets holding the rubber steering boot to the sled. There are more than three push rivets on the rubber boot. Remove three that are directly below the steering post, if you visualize pushing the steering post through the bottom of the sled. After removing the push rivets. You need to fold back the rubber boot and remove the 17mm nut from the bottom of the steering post. To do this, use a 3/8 ratchet with a 3” extension and standard depth 17mm socket. With the bottom nut removed the steering post is free. The manual suggests replacing the 2 nuts rather than reinstalling the ones removed from the steering post.

Spot on and i have to agree 100% with the last sentence. My group replaced the bell crank bushings this past off season and we reused the 2 nuts . On our last ride a week ago the Tcat in our group had the bolt for the drag link loosen creating some major slope in the bars. We were able to tighten it up and keep going but we made the decision then to replace those nuts this off season with new. Not worth the risk of having a major steering issue at speed for the cost of 2 nuts.

The two 10mm nuts on the upper steering post bushing.

Are you referring to the 2 nuts on the upper steering post bushing? Or all in the steering links?
The 2 nuts at the bottom. The steering post nut and the drag link nut. Those 2 nuts your referring to on the upper bushing i used lock tight on when i replaced the steering post bushing. But really any nut that has the plastic thread locker on it should not be used again after it has been removed as it wont lock correctly once its been loosened. I lost a stabilizer nut and bolt this year because of this, tried to reuse the nut and they just don't hold.

Yes, sorry I was referring to removing the post. When reinstalling you need to replace the two lower nuts....17mm. One is silver and the other one is gold.

Thx guys much appreciated going to to it Monday.Question all my dealers here are closed for the weekend but I just found a steering post off an Viper would anyone know if compatible with my 2020 Yamacat?

Should be the same but I don't have knowledge of that to be 100% sure.

Just looked at the parts fiche for a 2020 sidewinder and a 2016 Viper and they have the same part number for replacement. Note though there seems to have been a slight change to the 2016 part # from 8JP-F3813-00-00 to 8JP-F8313-01-00. So there has been a update just not sure what though.

Just looked at the parts fiche for a 2020 sidewinder and a 2016 Viper and they have the same part number for replacement. Note though there seems to have been a slight change to the 2016 part # from 8JP-F3813-00-00 to 8JP-F8313-01-00. So there has been a update just not sure what though.
Thx a lot!!

I can attest to the nut. 15 Viper bottom nut somehow came loose causing 2in play. Tightened it well but 2 rides later it was loose again. I was thinking throw red on it but a new nut is a must imo. I'm not a nut expert... well those that know me have varying opinions.

Nice write up!!;)!

Back