• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steering Freezing Up

Slow998

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 Thundercat
Hey guys,

I have a 21 Thundercat and have had issues with the steering freezing up. I don't have the luxury of a heated garage. Have any of you had issues and found a fix for it?

Park it in the sun clean out under hood snow etc never seen this before.

Put a hair dryer blowing air on the bell crank area.
I have had this issue.
Just installed the Mainway bell crank bushings and added a grease fitting.

I find my 2018 holds a lot of moisture from riding and I have had problems with frozen steering. I've had the steering freeze up twice not totally but enough to where I had to put both hands on one side of the bars and pull to get it to steer, lasts for about 10 miles even after a long warmup idle. I've had the throttle stick twice and I also get the code frequently for throttle position in the morning. My relays freeze too so on my 22 I'm upgrading to the frost free relays. These problems weren't every time. Mainly after getting a lot of moisture or snow under hood and then parking at the hotel over night. Might pack a cheap hair dryer and and extension cord in the toolbox from now on. (wouldn't do me any good on our cross country trips) Like I said I hope things are different on the 22's

I find my 2018 holds a lot of moisture from riding and I have had problems with frozen steering. I've had the steering freeze up twice not totally but enough to where I had to put both hands on one side of the bars and pull to get it to steer, lasts for about 10 miles even after a long warmup idle. I've had the throttle stick twice and I also get the code frequently for throttle position in the morning. My relays freeze too so on my 22 I'm upgrading to the frost free relays. These problems weren't every time. Mainly after getting a lot of moisture or snow under hood and then parking at the hotel over night. Might pack a cheap hair dryer and and extension cord in the toolbox from now on. (wouldn't do me any good on our cross country trips) Like I said I hope things are different on the 22's
Right, I usually ride with a group of guys and I rarely lead. If I follow them to supper or whatnot, when we come back out to ride, my handlebars will stick and usually stay like that until I can thaw it out or pull the boots off and get all the ice out of the nose. I've never had an issue with starting or reverse.

We've had it happen in our group to a couple sleds. I now pull the boots yearly and soak the steering knuckles with fluid film. Haven't had the issue on ours when doing that.

We've had it happen in our group to a couple sleds. I now pull the boots yearly and soak the steering knuckles with fluid film. Haven't had the issue on ours when doing that.
Awesome. That's what I ended up doing at the end of last year but never got a chance to ride it much after. I figured now would be the time to fix it before riding season gets here. Hopefully it'll be good to go this year!

Back