• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sudden Loss of Battery Power 06 RS Vector ER

starlaker

While out riding this weekend we had just taken off after a short trail break and turned the key and started right up with no hesitation. Hand Warmers, Thumb Warmers, Heated shield all working well. Machine was running great with no indication of any problem. After about 8 miles a small backfire and machine shut right down. No warning indicator lights on either. We checked the battery connections and they appeared to be fine but seemed very warm. Not sure if that is normal or not. We checked all the obvious like the kill switch etc. Ended up towing back to the cabin. Anyone else had this problem or heard of anything like this?
Thanks

starlaker said:
While out riding this weekend we had just taken off after a short trail break and turned the key and started right up with no hesitation. Hand Warmers, Thumb Warmers, Heated shield all working well. Machine was running great with no indication of any problem. After about 8 miles a small backfire and machine shut right down. No warning indicator lights on either. We checked the battery connections and they appeared to be fine but seemed very warm. Not sure if that is normal or not. We checked all the obvious like the kill switch etc. Ended up towing back to the cabin. Anyone else had this problem or heard of anything like this?
Thanks
Never had this happen before but I think there is a main fuse in the fuse box on the chain case side. If that blows it will shut down.

cobra93302 said:
starlaker said:
Thanks
Never had this happen before but I think there is a main fuse in the fuse box on the chain case side. If that blows it will shut down.
We checked that and the fuse appeared to be good.
We are heading back up this weekend and our dealer told us to charge the battery and start the machine and see if it is charging. He said he has had a few Stator's (not sure on spelling) go bad and if that's the case 5 hours to change, or possibly a voltage regulator. Once we determing the problem I will post again to let you know what the solution was.

starter

do you have the key that looks like a knife ? if so your dealer should have told you ,the key will hang up on the gas tank & keep the starter engaged till it burns up.. i found out the hard way. same backfire then nothing. hope your warrenteed,its about 1000. normt

My key always faces up and I never had it hang up on me so I am pretty sure that won't be the problem but never say never. We will know more once we get up there this weekend and dig into it a little more. If we can't figure it out we will load it up and drop it off at the dealer on the way home. Won't need it again until the snow comes next winter. Time to get the summer toys out. Just glad it happened at the end of the season. Thanks for all the information guys.

I was searching site on my pals behalf...his 06 Venture RS quit on trail this weekend. Would not start. Battery appears to be fine. Hear a faint clicking sound when turning the key. He purchased last winter...around 1200 km on the sled. I have over 8000 km on same sled and not experienced anything like this. Note: It was being ridden by a "guest"...is the upside down key an issue on the Venture RS? Also, He changed battery (switched with his RX-1)...battery from Venture worked fine in RX-1...no change in Venture. Comment that there was an electrical/burning smell at the time sled shut down...wondering if an electrical short may be culprit?

FRASERn said:
I was searching site on my pals behalf...his 06 Venture RS quit on trail this weekend. Would not start. Battery appears to be fine. Hear a faint clicking sound when turning the key. He purchased last winter...around 1200 km on the sled. I have over 8000 km on same sled and not experienced anything like this. Note: It was being ridden by a "guest"...is the upside down key an issue on the Venture RS? Also, He changed battery (switched with his RX-1)...battery from Venture worked fine in RX-1...no change in Venture. Comment that there was an electrical/burning smell at the time sled shut down...wondering if an electrical short may be culprit?
FRASERn, that is the same thing mine does, a faint clicking sound when turning the key. I have just shy of 3000 miles on mine and my husband has an 05 Rage with 6500 miles and no problems other than a belt. I didn't smell anything hot though.
Not sure if the key is an issue on the Venture RS. Hopefully someone else here will know.

Frasern and Starrider Have either of you gotten reply.

Hi has anyone given you sugestions on what the problem might be for the clicking noise and why the machine may not be turning over.

I just had a stator replaced on my 05 RS Venture. The same symptoms you stated. Running fine ,backfires and dies. The wires where the power comes off the stator were fried to a crisp. My dealer said the work time estimate from Yamaha was one hour to replace. I though that was pretty low seeing the location to be accessed. They charged me 1.5 hrs which I thought was fair. Stator was $230. Dealer also called Yamaha while I was there to see if there was any good will type help to be had as the sled only has 3000 miles and I have heard of other failures on this site. Nope, less than 5% of units have failed so no help was the answer. I still like my sled but I hope I'm not in the same 5% with the new part.Same part # ,same part I assume.

Tabor Rider 973 said:
I just had a stator replaced on my 05 RS Venture. The same symptoms you stated. Running fine ,backfires and dies. The wires where the power comes off the stator were fried to a crisp. My dealer said the work time estimate from Yamaha was one hour to replace. I though that was pretty low seeing the location to be accessed. They charged me 1.5 hrs which I thought was fair. Stator was $230. Dealer also called Yamaha while I was there to see if there was any good will type help to be had as the sled only has 3000 miles and I have heard of other failures on this site. Nope, less than 5% of units have failed so no help was the answer. I still like my sled but I hope I'm not in the same 5% with the new part.Same part # ,same part I assume.
We are dropping it off at our dealer this morning. We checked it out as much as we could. Battery is fine, all the fuses were fine. That wouldn't be so bad if that's all it costs. I am hoping for the best. Thanks for the info. I will post again when the poblem is fixed.

Back