• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Temperature Gauge install?

03griz

Pro
Does anybody know if it is possible to find a tee to replace the stock temperature light sensor in the RX-1? I figured then you could add a second sensor for the temperature guage and it would look pretty trick. Or is the stock sensor some sort of metric thread?

Re: Temperature Guage install?

03griz said:
Does anybody know if it is possible to find a tee to replace the stock temperature light sensor in the RX-1?

When you find one, please let me know.

I saw that set up and was planning to do it, was just thinking that if you could remove the stock sensor, install a tee, put the stock sensor plus a temperature guage sensor in it would be more stock like. Question for you guys with this install on RX1, there is two metal tubes coming the motor instead of one like on the vector, does that tee fit between? There is only three inches as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• Trailer Instructions for Matt.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 90
What about a mechanical gauge?
;)!

Attachments

• Temp Tee.JPG
    Temp Tee.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 333
here is mine, made a tee outa 7/8 coppper pipe and brazed a threaded adapter to it, works sweet. rubber cap on the threaded post of sending unit so it would not damage flap.

Attachments

• no rubber ring.JPG
    no rubber ring.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 228
  • left side sending unit.JPG
    left side sending unit.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 237
  • harness view.JPG
    harness view.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 234
  • right side view of sending unit tee.JPG
    right side view of sending unit tee.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 250
jdkrxw ,i used small rubber cap from auto parts store (in the help parts section) of pep-boys. do you have Many, Moe & Jack up there????
rfc

Re: Temp Gauge Install

I fish-mouthed then silver soldered the brass fitting to the transfer tube on the mag side of the head after drilling the appropriate sized hole for the temp sensor. Painted it before reinstalling and it has a nice clean look.

One problem I ran into was of the dash cracking after a few runs despite being ultra careful and drilling the right sized hole for the gauge. It is barely noticable but still a PITA when you're as anal retentive as I am!!

By the way what do most people see for temps? I have the rear cooler installed and still can see 190+ in marginal snow. At what temp does the warning light come on?

Peter

Attachments

• 100_1070 (Small).jpg
    100_1070 (Small).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 251
  • 100_1067 (Small).jpg
    100_1067 (Small).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_1071 (Small).jpg
    100_1071 (Small).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 272
Re: Temp Gauge Install

cntrydr said:
By the way what do most people see for temps? I have the rear cooler installed and still can see 190+ in marginal snow. At what temp does the warning light come on?

Peter

I typically see about 160 - 170 under good conditions on my Warrior with the optional large mountain cooler. I haven't ridden in marginal or icy conditions since I installed the gauge last year.

Not sure when the light comes one. Last year the light came on about 6 times during my first trip in very icy conditions. That was prior to the gauge and the cooler, it was that trip that prompted me to install both.

Back