• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The dreaded code 81

Stonetire

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 Vector LTX
So I started my 08 Phazer GT for the first time this season, rode around the yard a few miles and pulled it in the garage to melt all the snow off.
As it was idling in the garage , I brushed my hand across the kill switch and the engine shutdown. I did not fully actuate the kill switch - I just touched it.
Started it back up and there was no issues.
Then I proceeded to remove the upper side covers to inspect for the DC outlet connection inorder to connect my new heated helmet shield.
As part of this I was moving some of the wires/connectors on the left side.
I turned the ignition on to test for voltage and there it was the dreaded code 81.

I have tested all the connections between the ECU, the blue toggle switch and the grips. I have not found any opens or shorts though it appears my grip elements are connected in parallel contrary to the series connection shown in the manual.

I am getting the code 81, yellow light and engine symbol flashing in the display.

Is it possible my ECU is fried due to a possible static shock through the kill switch?
Should I check for continuity from the ECU to the display?
Thanks for any advice you may have!

Phazer codes are bizzare. I suggest riding it for a while and see if codes go away, as mine usually do. I get codes usually when working on sled...then I just ride it and most go away.

Our snow is quickly melting so a ride in the near future isn't likely.
I checked all the fuses (visually) and they appear fine.
Each grip resistance is measuirng 8 ohms. When I check continuity from the ECU connector to ground I am getting 4 ohms so they are connected in parallel.
I really hope it's not the ECU. They are not cheap!

Back