• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking about buying a Nytro FX

Banks53

IM thinking about buying an FX Nytro. Possibly a RTX or the new XTX. Depending on what kind of deal I can get on a dealer floor sled.

But what I am wondering is what sort of modifications do you guys do to these sleds from the factory?

I've seen for sale posts about these sleds that have things like:

"fourth wheel kit added"
"internal and external drivers"
"under the boards heat exchanges"
etc....

Basically inform me of some of the very practical and beneficial modifications you would do to a stock FX Nytro?

Thanks Guys,
-Banks53

Location, ridding style, prefered seating position, top speed requirements, etc, basically anything about what you want out of a snowmobile. Not tying to deter you from getting a Nytro just would be helpful to determine if it is the best choice and then if it is what mods would best suit you.

Well I race quads, so I'm used to being able to throw the sled around, I like to go fast when I can, I'm someone who really likes to ride aggressive verses sitting back and cruising.

I rode a friend's phazer last winter and loved it, just didn't have enough balls for my liking.

Banks53 said:
I rode a friend's phazer last winter and loved it, just didn't have enough balls for my liking.

I agree banks, thats why I traded it in on my nytro. If I know you, this is the sled you want.

Listen guys, Banks53 is basiclly looking for a 4 stroke, rider forward, rough trail sled,(if that narrows it down) basically its between the Nytro, and the Ski-poo XP thumper. Seens on his brother already snowchecked an XP 4 stroke, I belive the only lodgical sled to get is the Yammi. He is just checking out what the pros and cons are with a nytro as aposed to, say an Apex. (Apex is labled as a "rider forward" sled) He is also coming off of a Polaris ultra 600? like a mid-to late 90's, so any new sled would be an improvment.

Banks, If you loved my old phazer, and just want it to have more power, I don't think you could go wrong with the Nytro. I also would say go for the 09' but you are a crafty guy. I feel you could pick up an 08' and do some work with the front end, and possibly the front sub, and be all set. However....you would have to ride it hard enough to worry about the sub!! :tg:

fergdog93 said:
Banks53 said:

I agree banks, thats why I traded it in on my nytro. If I know you, this is the sled you want.

Listen guys, Banks53 is basiclly looking for a 4 stroke, rider forward, rough trail sled,(if that narrows it down) basically its between the Nytro, and the Ski-poo XP thumper. Seens on his brother already snowchecked an XP 4 stroke, I belive the only lodgical sled to get is the Yammi. He is just checking out what the pros and cons are with a nytro as aposed to, say an Apex. (Apex is labled as a "rider forward" sled) He is also coming off of a Polaris ultra 600? like a mid-to late 90's, so any new sled would be an improvment.

Banks, If you loved my old phazer, and just want it to have more power, I don't think you could go wrong with the Nytro. I also would say go for the 09' but you are a crafty guy. I feel you could pick up an 08' and do some work with the front end, and possibly the front sub, and be all set. However....you would have to ride it hard enough to worry about the sub!! :tg:

Yah true.....Anything would be better then what I have considering how I ride. I was thinking of the xtx but I'm worried of it feeling to much like a 144 long track.

What I need to find is a rider preview of some sort. Somewhere I can jump on all the nytros and apexes and see which I like.

What are some of the Pros-cons of getting an 09 vs an 08? I know there was like 20 changes to the front suspension and sub for 09. But no where can I find why it was changed.

08' is said to be set-up very aggressively, if that makes sense. Basically it's a touchy sled; any input from the rider and or the terrain is translated back to the terrain and ground respectively. I think Snow West described it best, check out the latest issue. They relaxed the sled a bit, which given the little seat time I had on a 08' wouldn't be a bad thing. They also mention a rear coupling change which is the first I've heard, this was also needed as many changed blocks to Cat style. Over all I think if you can find a 09' (Preferably S.E.) for a price within say $1600 of a 08' I would grab it. If you can get a 08' for $1200 to $1600 less than a 09' maybe consider it. The only reason I say S.E. is because of the shock package, there's also a tunnel change but that's personal preference. There have been a few on here that buyers have had to back out of so there should be some available. To get the 08's close to the 09's you’re going to need to mod the front end, $400-$1,400 depending on how much you change. Shock valving, $50 to $300, again depending on who does it. There are other various parts and pieces that changed but you could probably make or mod the current ones.

Honestly if you plan to keep it for more than a few years I would get the 09'. Just a more turn key set-up. As always the first year sleds have issues, each year after that, they improve and get better. There just happens to be more drastic changes to the Nytro.

Attachments

• Dormant Red Apex (600 x 450).jpg
    Dormant Red Apex (600 x 450).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Dormant Red Rx-1 A-arms  (600 x 450).jpg
    Dormant Red Rx-1 A-arms (600 x 450).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 74
I would also suggest an 09. I have riden the 08 and with a Ski Doo pilot ski and a few other inexpensive mods the 08 is good, but still not as good as the 09. I have also ridden all the 09's, SE, XTX, RTX, and standard Nytro. All the 09's including the XTX handle better than the 08's. But the XTX does not handle as well as the short tracks. It still pushes in the corners and the extra weight is noticeable. It does handle better than the 136" Apex's and Vectors. The XTX is one of the better handling long tracks, but it is still a long track. If you are going off trail (deep snow) on a regular basis I would consider the XTX. Even the standard 09 Nytro's and RTX's are great sleds. With the improved front ends and revalved rear shocks they are very good. 08's were slighty off the mark, but the improvements for 09 make them great sleds. The only thing missing is a 10 gallon fuel tank, but the aftermarket Trail Tank works great. Like I said I have spent a great deal of time on 08's and 09's so feel free to let me know of any questions. Andy

Obviously there hasn't been too many (If any) people that have ridden an 09 SE, but from the looks of it, that is the way to go. Where do you ride? If you ride mainly trails and you like to hammer the bumps, you probably can't go wrong with the SE.

Also, you will need to update your profile with your location or you will get smacked around by the mod's.

I disagree with that statement ^^^^^....The entire sled is designed for aggressive riding, but the front end has design issues that require adjusting or replacing. I believe that you will actually be able to ride MORE aggressive on an 09 because it is going to be more predictable. Yami learned a lot from the 08, and I am sure they will learn from the 09....but it is a pretty safe bet that the 09 is a much better stock for stock sled.

Yah I WANT the 09 RTX SE, but I cant find a dealer (in my area) that has one in stock. I've got a few dealers I've talked with and they can cut me a hell of a deal on an 09 RTX or 09 XTX but I really really really want the 09 RTX SE for the suspension. I have the Evol X's on my Race Quad and they are amazing, can be valved any time any where (if you get the pumps).

If I could find a dealer to get me an 09 RTX SE with the same knocked off the top compared to a 09 RTX Base I would jump on it in a heart beat. But I doubt I will SE means special order with smaller mom and pop shops that are willing to deal. IMO 10.7 msrp is way more then these things are worth. never paid retail in my life, don't plan to start lol.

Great info guys, but no one really answered my questions on the little tweaks and mods to 08's and 09's that are cheap and effective.

lucky_7 said:
I disagree with that statement ^^^^^....The entire sled is designed for aggressive riding, but the front end has design issues that require adjusting or replacing. I believe that you will actually be able to ride MORE aggressive on an 09 because it is going to be more predictable. Yami learned a lot from the 08, and I am sure they will learn from the 09....but it is a pretty safe bet that the 09 is a much better stock for stock sled.
I will bet the 09 is much better stock for stock,But my sled did not handle all that bad when I dialed it in and now I have new skis I think it will handle just fine. Not the best,But it will get rid of that darting problem and pushing problem!

Back