• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking my exhaust donuts might be out. What do you think?

cmharcou

Expert
I noticed this raspy sounds when its idling. The sled runs great, but just sound like something under the seat. It only has 2500 miles on it. Its an 07 Attak. If it is the exhaust donuts anyone have step by step directions on how to change them? Is it a tough job?

I did my Attak and it wasn't too bad a job at all. I have a friend with 10K on his RX1 2003 that needs exhust work. I plugged his tail pipe and smoke or steam came out from under his seating area.
Having never worked on a 03 RX I am wondering how similar a job it is.

I have 3000 miles on my attak and I am thinking something is up with it as well. I only here it when it idles, sounds like maybe an exhaust leak? I first I thought it was clutch noise but then I listened under it and it was worse from the tunnel area. No backfirring or anything..

I have a big weekend trip next weekend not not sure what I should do? Do I tear it down and hope I can get parts before Friday or will it hold out for the weekend??

You can drop the rear suspension bolts and do a quick inspection. If the donut clamps are loose or you can move them with a screwdriver the donuts are probably bad

I changed mine out around 3k...I didn't have any signs either..but I tore it down while doing storage maintance just to check it out and I found the y pipes were cracking at the flange and it wouldn't be long before the donuts went. I fixed this on my time out of season vs during season. You have to wait for parts ya know.
It won't hurt anything to use it now and do your ride. My friend has been rideing his all season with a loud exhust leak. Doesn't want to take a chance and break it down and loose this short season.
If your under the emissions warrantee you will have this done free or at least get the parts free. I did from my Yami dealer.

CaptCaper said:
I did my Attak and it wasn't too bad a job at all. I have a friend with 10K on his RX1 2003 that needs exhust work. I plugged his tail pipe and smoke or steam came out from under his seating area.
Having never worked on a 03 RX I am wondering how similar a job it is.

It's almost the same, just the fuel lines are different.

good thanks...
Same or similar in removeing seat? tailights and exhust trim?

Thanks for the reply.. I have done a mass amount of mods to it this year (pre season) and took a chance that this would hold out throgh this season only to hear the exhaust leak now. I have only been out 3 times and we are just getting some snow now so I don;t want ti down for a week or two when theres only 6 or so weeks left! If it starts back firing on de aceleration can I still ride it? At what point should I park it if it gets bad next weekend?

CaptCaper said:
I changed mine out around 3k...I didn't have any signs either..but I tore it down while doing storage maintance just to check it out and I found the y pipes were cracking at the flange and it wouldn't be long before the donuts went. I fixed this on my time out of season vs during season. You have to wait for parts ya know.
It won't hurt anything to use it now and do your ride. My friend has been rideing his all season with a loud exhust leak. Doesn't want to take a chance and break it down and loose this short season.
If your under the emissions warrantee you will have this done free or at least get the parts free. I did from my Yami dealer.

It will crack the titanium Y-pipes if the donuts are gone, stainless Y-pipes maybe not. Gets expensive if you gotta buy Y-pipes compared to 4-$12 donuts. Make sure you grind down the donut clamp spacer and check fit to make them nice and tight, the clamps seem to stretch after repeated use and don't tighten up like new. Use lots of anti-seize for the next time too. Also the rear Y-pipe bracket rivets will loosen up in the tunnel, check and re-rivet, If needed

CaptCaper said:
good thanks...
Same or similar in removeing seat? tailights and exhust trim?

Yep may even be a little easier. The tank cover gets in the way a little on the RX1's (I can do my wifes but it has a 1"bar riser) You may have to take off the handlebars for access

Back