• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking of getting a sr viper

That flash seems to be hit and miss. Some people say it’s better some say it’s worse. I have a 2016 that I have never flashed because it starts and runs fine now. I did not want to risk it having issues if I had it flashed because you can’t go back to the old flash. Only time I have any problems is early season sub zero with old fuel. Once there’s fresh fuel run through it I don’t have any problems. And you gotta have a good battery. They don’t like low voltage.

Yamajon, good info thanks
Two things I have learned about the starting is that junky fuel at the start of the season always will cause a bit of a hiccup in the cold. Get fresh in, and ride it then it goes away. The battery voltage is also pretty critical and I carry a backup pack on me always since this is not able to be pull started.

They also don't like premium fuel as the octane seems to hamper it from starting. I have turbos with PC5's and have no issue at all starting with premium but stock that was an issue. One thing I have found in my total of 40000km's on these is that you need to hold the key on when you think its started for a second. When others have had issues it is one cylinder fires and they let off the key and it is not quite running. Then the other two cylinders are full of fuel. It wont hurt it holding it on for a few seconds mor.

I’m curious to know if the ECU update has been further improved for 2024 or if it’s been left alone since 2019.

It has not been updated

Higher octane literally means greater resistance to combustion, typically this means spontaneous combustion to avoid pre-detonation (Knock) but that same property also makes it harder to start in general. More advanced and higher performance systems are tuned for this issue.

We have 4 Vipers in our group, all have the latest flash. We run 87 mostly but sometimes 91 is all there is. I can say all 4 Vipers have never had the dreaded starting issues, on occasion you will have it, but it's not very often.

Going to hopefully make a deal on a 2017 rtx se in the next couple days. Im interested to know, will I need to upgrade the upper gear in the chaincase and if so, with what. Aldo is there a concern with the reverse shift fork pads? Thanks for all the advise.

Im interested to know, will I need to upgrade the upper gear in the chaincase and if so, with what. Aldo is there a concern with the reverse shift fork pads? Thanks for all the advise.
Nothing out there to upgrade too. What guys are doing is when the bushing starts to wear is upgrade to a better bushing...pretty cheap as well. Shift pads are plastic stock, DMC makes a brass shift fork pad. Plastic does get brittle over time and will break, brass is forever.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154897875824 This is the bushing that guys have had good success with.

My friends Dad has one. They are very heavy and not great starting. I think his is 2018. He got it stuck on a trail that blew in. I bet that sled weighed 700 pounds with snow packed up in it. It was no fun getting it unstuck.

My friends Dad has one. They are very heavy and not great starting. I think his is 2018. He got it stuck on a trail that blew in. I bet that sled weighed 700 pounds with snow packed up in it. It was no fun getting it unstuck.
I have two XTX's and as far as I can tell, all snowmobiles are all heavy when they are stuck. Nice thing about the Viper's is they don't tend to carry snow in the tunnel as they don't have tunnel coolers.

Back