• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking of getting a sr viper

all snowmobiles are all heavy when they are stuck.
EXACTLY. Unless they are backwoods/bush riders people need to stop with this line or get better at riding their sled.

I disagree. 650 pound sleds are just too heavy. It wasn’t that long ago when people made fun of my 540 pound Yamaha. I’m done with heavy sleds. Yes sleds are heavy when they are stuck but a Viper vs a Rengage there is no comparison. That Viper is just too heavy. My sled is a “lightweight” lol.

Might not be an issue if you ride somewhere that doesn’t have snow.

As I said before, the Viper I spoke of is dealer serviced. That thing is questionable at best if it will start. That’s the last thing I want to drive out in the middle of nowhere. Dealer has no clue why it’s always had troubles starting. The sled was bought new.

Sorry you have had a tough time. I have two Vipers both with 21,000km on them. Only starter or start up issue I had was when I left Clarks at Pinefalls and the solenoid stayed on and by the time I got 20KM down the trail it had burnt out the starter. I have since put in Rockztoyz starter saver LED (designed originally for the APEX and Nytro) and no issues since.

Yes a lighter and more nimble sled can be more fun off trail but that also comes with the tradeoff of having a two stroke. Not interested in that at all. I have 240Hp so its pretty easy to power my way out of a lot of things but stuck is stuck. Guess you have to pick your poison: two stroke that's lighter ($20 liter oil and 4000km lifespan) or 4 stroke that's heavier and lasts forever.

Ride what makes you happy, as long as your riding its all good.

For a dealer to admit that they have no idea is basically admitting that they aren't competent. Its not magic. Even the most advanced sleds are simple by comparison to any modern car.

For a dealer to admit that they have no idea is basically admitting that they aren't competent. Its not magic. Even the most advanced sleds are simple by comparison to any modern car.
I think the 1049 in the AC sleds have always had starting issues. Many ecu updates. He hasn’t had any luck. It’s not really the dealer then.

1049 in the Nytro fires right up everytime. Two friends with Nytro xtx. -32C. Vroom vroom. No issues at all.

Sorry you have had a tough time. I have two Vipers both with 21,000km on them. Only starter or start up issue I had was when I left Clarks at Pinefalls and the solenoid stayed on and by the time I got 20KM down the trail it had burnt out the starter. I have since put in Rockztoyz starter saver LED (designed originally for the APEX and Nytro) and no issues since.

Yes a lighter and more nimble sled can be more fun off trail but that also comes with the tradeoff of having a two stroke. Not interested in that at all. I have 240Hp so its pretty easy to power my way out of a lot of things but stuck is stuck. Guess you have to pick your poison: two stroke that's lighter ($20 liter oil and 4000km lifespan) or 4 stroke that's heavier and lasts forever.

Ride what makes you happy, as long as your riding its all good.
I’m not a huge fan of two strokes myself and that’s why I still ride the old Nytro.

Our last ride we saw a guy on a renagade leaving a warm up shack. He slowly drove off standing and could lift either from ski off the ground by shifting his weight. You can’t do that on my sled. Us three Nytro drivers looked at each other in awe lol. Got all of us thinking of a light weight sled. I just try to keep an open mind.

He slowly drove off standing and could lift either from ski off the ground by shifting his weight.
That would be a good set up for off trail riding, not one for trail riding. I like my skis planted, as in zero ski lift...period! It might look cool to lift your skis off the snow at will, but that equals a very poor handling sled. No thanks!

Been wanting to try a Viper for quite a while. Still haven't found a compelling deal on a used one 10 years into it. Years of pushing a mouse around a foam pad leave me unprepared for an off-trail stuck & buried situation. Today I was straining to position my Apex XTX for entry into the trailer and thinking about 2-strokes. Then I came to my senses.

That would be a good set up for off trail riding, not one for trail riding
My thoughts exactly. I hate inside ski lift. Thats why I dont like the new Polaris, that and the excessive body roll.

I should have worded it... shift his weight side to side while standing up. Not forward and back.

The Viper to me is too heavy for what it is. Renagade or XC is way lighter. The Viper doesn't feel fast with the 1049. If you don't care about the weight, I would just toss some more money in the pot and buy a Sidewinder. I don't understand the point of the Viper. It costs pretty much the same as a Sidewinder.

My next sled will still be a 4 stroke but unless the Catalyst chassis comes with a Yamaha under the hood, its probably going to be a Renagade. I can't imagine riding a sled thats 100 pounds heavier than my sled. The Viper I helped dig out was no fun. Its a seriously heavy sled.

I'm not brand loyal to my death like some people. I try to keep an open mind.

I bought a new 16 ltx viper and put over 9000 k on it ,weight didn't bother me as I strictly trail ride.had a few times it would not go @ -35 but I don't ride in those temps.

I should have worded it... shift his weight side to side while standing up. Not forward and back.
I knew what you meant from your first statement. Good luck with your new to you renegade.

Regardless of the negativity, I started this thread to get some positive feedback from current owners. I thank all of you that gave valid concerns and suggestions.

After sifting through all the info, hete is where I have ended up.

Back