• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

this has been beat to death but...

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
has anyone come up with a way to fix poor handwarmer performance on some rx1's? I don't want to have a bunch of replys that say "my handwarmers work great--whats your problem? buy bettergloves "...etc some rx1 handwarmers just don't work as well as others. I drove an 03 back to back with my 05 and there was no comparison. the 03 was much warmer. The part number for 03 and 05 are different. has anyone tried to put different grips on? hot grips? there must be an answer!!

I was under the impression there was a Yamaha bulletin on those My buddy got his replaced by the dealer I would check there first, not sure if it included anything but the warmers though

My 03 are not hot like everyone says, my viper was not hot like everyone said, I may try different gloves, these leathers might be the problem.

I did foam my 03 bars this year though and it helped a little but my outside fingers still get cold.

I went from leather gloves to Castle gloves and now my hands get burnt, every time I start the sled I have to remember to turn them down. My hands actually stay warmer with thinner gloves because they dont sweat.

Take off the bar pad, unplug the grip wires, cut the plugs off, wire the two wires from each grip to the two wires coming out of the center of the handle bars, solder and tape your connections, this is how you wire them in parallel vs series they are wired from the factory. Start sled, set grips at 2 bars on the gauge on your speedo and feel the heat! It doesn't get any easier than that!

BURMAD69 said:
I went from leather gloves to Castle gloves and now my hands get burnt, every time I start the sled I have to remember to turn them down. My hands actually stay warmer with thinner gloves because they dont sweat.

I found the same thing, with cheap thinner nylon gloves my hands stay warmer than with expensive leather.

Oh whatever you do dont reach your cold hand around the back of your sled to warm it up on the exhaust comming out of the sled going down the trail.It will melt your glove so fast that by the time you feel heat your glove will be completly melted together.Dont ask how i know.LOL

i use a chep set of gauntlets with jersey gloves, and only turned them on twice i can think of. even before i put on the gauntlets i remember them being hot on my 05

kkraus said:
Take off the bar pad, unplug the grip wires, cut the plugs off, wire the two wires from each grip to the two wires coming out of the center of the handle bars, solder and tape your connections, this is how you wire them in parallel vs series they are wired from the factory. Start sled, set grips at 2 bars on the gauge on your speedo and feel the heat! It doesn't get any easier than that!
So in laymans speak--take one wire from each side and run it to the power side of the circuit---the yellow/red wire --and then run the remaining wire from each side to the ground side of the circuit--the black wire--correct?

Yes Exactly! If your wires are not long enough you might have to add a little. I dealt with "Luke Warm" grips for 3 seasons, I did this simple fix and its awsome now. I did my buddies RX-1 and he is happy as well. Let me know your results! ;)!

Every Yamaha I've ever owned since 1980 have been wired in Series. Mine is an 04 Warrior and the other one I did was an 04 RX-1. Its kinda of a mystery why some work great and others don't. You would think that yamaha could make some simple handgrips get warm, but I'm sure they probably sub-contract that out to someone else. So if yours are fine leave them alone if they only get luke warm try the rewire trick.

Its funny mine work pretty well you have to run them down unless its -20 or so and the thumb warmer will melt your glove. I fogot one day when my daughter was driving and I was on back she was like dad its burning my finger I looked and it melted the thumb of her glove LOL

just foamed my bars and rewired handwarmers--going riding tomorrow and will report back.

Glad to say I now have HOT HANDS--thank god -- A HUGE thanks to KKRAUSE, this mod WORKS!!!!!!! Rode 140 miles today with warmers on 1 to 3 bars or off!!! :Rockon: :rocks:

Back