• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Timbersled Rear Skid - That Good?

doo_man

Expert
I have an 08 Yamaha MTX that sitting in the garage, took the Dragon RMK last trip and glad I did (Nytro sits now). It climbs so much easier, and seemingly I am never stuck. But I love the 4 stroke, and the handling of the Nytro better. I have a Challenger track sitting in the garage, but I keep thinking I need a Timbersled to get this thing really rocking. I don't want to put more money into this thing unless it makes a drastic difference (which I believe it will). Any real world experience out there???

One word: Monumental. That sums up the difference. I was just about to sell my Nytro before this season because I, too, was frustrated with getting stuck and not being able to follow my buds on their Summits, even track poaching. MTdream strongly suggested the Mtn Tamer skid so I went with it, mainly because I like the handling of the Nytro and the 4 stroke efficiency/technology. While I was changing the skid, I put a Polaris Series 5.1 155" track from an '09 Dragon 700 to replace the sketchy Maverick track. You CAN'T BELIEVE the difference in my sled now. Instead of sitting at the bottom of the hills watching my buds race up it (for fear of getting stuck), I'm now leading the way and bustin' through the pow like I always wanted to do. Boondocking is infinitely better, as the floatation and traction are in a different world as compared to stock.

Not to bore you, and sorry for the long winded post, but the Mtn Tamer is absolutely worth the $$. Give Justin at Code Red Perfomance a call and place an order....you WON'T regret it.

save the energy, spend the money!!!! it made a bigger difference in total ride experience than any other mod, and I have a few :)

I went with the Timbersled skid and a 156 2.5 Extreme and its a whole new sled. Unreal difference. Last season it couldn't get out of its own way now it rocks. I also added an Excell header and free flow exhaust and did some clutching. On the Timbersled I actually used a Cat version as the Cat rails have a much better approach angle than the Yami ones. If you buy one I'd reccomend getting the Ice Age rails as well.

Rx1M5

Attachments

• Nytro2.JPG
    Nytro2.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 522
That sled looks awesome how did you build the tunnel ext or where can I get one! That goes for the foot rails!

That's not a tunnel extension its a whole tunnel I built. As for the approach angle if you keep the stock Yamaha rails with the Tsled skid you will keep the same 30 degree or whatever it is angle.

Rx1M5

Rx1M5 said:
That's not a tunnel extension its a whole tunnel I built. As for the approach angle if you keep the stock Yamaha rails with the Tsled skid you will keep the same 30 degree or whatever it is angle.

Rx1M5

So let me get this straight....I have stock Yammi rails on my Timbersled skid Nytro...If I were to just swap my rails for cat rails my approach angle will improve? The Mtn Tamer suspension components for my Nytro don't have to be changed, just the rails?

Sounds very cool....

No I.m sorry if I didn't make that clear don't want to cause any confusion. The Cat front torque arm is about 2 " longer than the Yami one and ends up being mounted in a different place. You can't just switch the rails cause it'll move your skid too far forward and the rail tips will be touching the drivers. My suspension is all Cat. If a guy is starting from scratch then you can go with the Cat system with the 153 Cat rail and run a 156 with no extensions or big wheel kit. IMO Yamaha could take a lesson from Cat on how to design a suspension geometry. Don't get me wrong here I don't even like Cat but their suspensions have worked quite well for me. I guess when you get down to it all the brands have their good points.

Rx1M5

just getting rid of the stock track makes a big improvement in climbing as well. went to a 162x15x2.5 CE and it was a huge improvement in climbing and being able to go slower without getting stuck in tighter stuff.

for this year i'm not spending anymore on mods, maybe next year. would be nice if i could get a ride on a sled with the timbersled skid to see what its like while climbing, etc. but i'm not too worried about it. the sled goes everywhere i want to go as it is anyways

Back