• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Time for motor rebuild, what would you do

maxdlx

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
07 Apex RTX
Time to get the motor rebuilt. What all would you guys do to a 9000 mile motor. it will get all new bearings on the lower end, new rings, all the normal stuff. is there anything you guys would do while in there to perk it up, or to make it last longer either one. Exhaust donuts will be a must as 3 of the 4 of mine are simply gone, nothing left of them. Also who would you guys recomend do the work in the midwest, Ulmer, CB Performance, any good yamaha dealers out there. I don't trust the 2 near me, and am not sure it is something I can do myself. Hate to spend the money to get it back up and running to have it fail from my incompetence. going to completly dismantle the rest of the sled while the motor is away and make it like new too. Figure 2 grand in an 05 is better and more feasable(sp) than 15g for a new one. thanks Maxdlx

Only 9000 miles on the engine and it needs a rebuild :o|
Mine has over 13000 miles on it and its still running strong :Rockon:

Then there's a guy up in Maine with an 06 Apex with 56000 miles and still running strong, and an 06 RS Venture with 42000 miles on it!

What's wrong with your engine?

this one still ran real strong too, never used ol unless on its top. try loosing all of the oil out of it while pulling 9500 rpm, it ticks after that. Paul

some mild porting while you have it apart would not hurt unless you want to go all out on it with a big-bore and cams as well.

All of the valves will likely need to be re-shimmed (particularly if you run it hard). Most of mine were out of tolerance at 2500 miles.

From what I understand, yam figured the same maintenance schedule as a bike. Difference is, these sleds run at much higher rpms for much longer periods of time.

Won't make a huge difference, but they should perk it up a little and get some gas mileage back.

No big bore or cams, maybe porting. I'd guess whoever does it would have to check the valves, or I will ask that they set the valves. Thanks Paul

Back