• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top end numbers

Lets hope I bite my tongue on this one. I didn’t really get to test for true top speed when riding the apex and attak. I do know it takes allot of reduced rolling resistence and extra HP to close in those last few mphs. The SRXs are know for great top end speed, but its characteristics allowed it to run strong while it had a low profile track and reduced suspension travel. I’ve lost speed on my SRX and RX-1 when adding a 1.25 track and even more so with studs. To shave rotating weight on the track as much as 10-15 lbs will give extra top end speed, but usually at a cost of traction down low. Keep in mind that 120 mph is very fast on the gun and very few can achieve it with any stock sled.
Lets hope the laws of physics get beat and the Apex runs 120 on the gun!

Dan

DANO, GOOD POST!! OTIS-RX AND I WILL HAVE RADER RUNS IN OTIS MASS. THIS YEAR IF ANYONE WANTS TO ATTEND, IT WILL BE GREAT TIME. LAST YEAR HAD A STOCK SRX GO 121MPH ON THE GUN ON OTIS RES. WITH 1700FT ELEVATION. IF THE APEX CAN TOP THAT IT WILL BE SOMETHING TO SEE.
________
Vapir No2 Vaporizer

Right on rock thats funny i dont care who you are :D ya hopefully my attak will be faster this year w/me on it than it would if i had stayed at last years weight lol last year 255# dry this year 214# dry should be better,but it is a long track compared to the 03 shorty i had,but that one went 117 gps ice/hard snow..

Dano said:
Lets hope I bite my tongue on this one. I didn’t really get to test for true top speed when riding the apex and attak. I do know it takes allot of reduced rolling resistence and extra HP to close in those last few mphs. The SRXs are know for great top end speed, but its characteristics allowed it to run strong while it had a low profile track and reduced suspension travel. I’ve lost speed on my SRX and RX-1 when adding a 1.25 track and even more so with studs. To shave rotating weight on the track as much as 10-15 lbs will give extra top end speed, but usually at a cost of traction down low. Keep in mind that 120 mph is very fast on the gun and very few can achieve it with any stock sled.
Lets hope the laws of physics get beat and the Apex runs 120 on the gun!

Dan
Dano i must agree about the srx running so sweet on ice/hard snow,they work very good sometimes better stock than modded,time and time again i have seen the srx beat xcr800 and t-cats in 1500 ft. ice but add hard packed trail and now add some loose snow and i have never been beat on a trail w/any srx and my budds have from 98-2002 all very good runners,now this is on trails only,on the lake some win some dont.

Dano said:
The ripsaw track is not known for great top end speed! Takes allot to run over 115 mph on radar and I don’t think it will happen with the Ripsaw track. Many of the other OEMs use the ripsaw track for an upgrade, but found a good lose in top end speed. A good 5-10 mph in some cases. The pluses of the ripsaw far outweigh the minuses so I will keep the ripsaw for all around use and I might try a speed track for radar runs.
It really peeves me off that yamaha won’t calibrate a working speedometer on such a sophisticated machine. Guess I’ll keep the GPS plumbed in!

Dan

5-10 mph?! Sorry, I think not. Compared to what?

wolfie said:
5-10 mph?! Sorry, I think not. Compared to what?

That would be compared to a low profile track which has much less spinning resistence and weight. Some are running them on their 2-strokes and notice a significant difference in top speed. The smaller the cc, the more difference their seems to be. More rolling resistence equals less rpms, less rpms on a 2-stroke is a good lose of a few hp as well. Kind of 2 issues with one mod. Keep note that the 04 RX-1 had clutch calibration (larger rollers) to offset the 1.25 track resistence compared to the 03.
I’m speaking from my experience and opinion only....take it for what it is!

Dan

Most OEM's that use the 1.25" ripsaw on the 800cc in particular, said they only lose 1-2 mph on top-end compared to a 1" track. Lower cc sleds may lose more. 10mph is questionable. If you want to go real low profile (like 3/4", then yes there is a few mph to be gained. I believe the 05 RX-1 toped out between 114-116 mph with the 1.25. So, the Apex should better that with the same track. Isn't there a way to fix the end on the cable that fits into the drive axle to make the speedo alot more accurate? I thought I read that on here sometime ago.

I lost 8 mph when I switched to a 1.25 finger track and 144 studs compared to a .725 track, but gained on the bottom. I do know studs played a roll as well. My SRX loss approx 5 mph switching from a 6 pitch 1.25 track to a full block, fully clipped 1.25 track. Difference between the stock SRX track and 1.25 fully blocked track was close to 10 mph. This is all using my same radar on each machine and run. Every pound of rotating weight will cost in speed wether it be added rubber or studs. Each time I lost speed I can recalcitrate the clutching to gain a little back, but still lost speed unless I add HP.

Not sure how many SRX owners on here, but many owners will notice the SRX goes quickly to about 105-110mph (radar). After that it goes into a free spin and keeps gaining and gaining feeding off its low profile suspension, track and free spinning engine getting to 120mph+. Doesn’t take much to lose that free spin!

To correct the speedo speed, you need to grind off a tooth off the censor to fool it. Not sure if that will effect the tripmeter since it seems to be correct to begin with.

Dan

Hi Dano, I am new to Yamaha. I have a Apex ER with 96 studs and piggy back front shocks. I see you are on here a lot and we only live 2 hours away. I ride up there quite a bit so we should hook up and meet each other and go for a ride. Might go to Northern Quebec in a couple of weeks for our first ride. Thanks talk to you soon.

Chris

legend said:
Hi Dano, I am new to Yamaha. I have a Apex ER with 96 studs and piggy back front shocks. I see you are on here a lot and we only live 2 hours away. I ride up there quite a bit so we should hook up and meet each other and go for a ride. Might go to Northern Quebec in a couple of weeks for our first ride. Thanks talk to you soon.

Chris

Cool!...PM me before you head up this way and we shall ride. I'm fairly new to this southern area.
Looks like we will have an Ontario ride at the beginning of March as well. Stay tunned...

Good choice on the Apex :Rockon:

Dan

Back