• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top speed 72

DEdwardsjr81

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha RSVector
Looking for insight:

I have a 2006 RS Vector been out on a few rides this season all is good. However my top speed is 72 mph. The acceleration is crazy fast, I can get to top speed like crazy but it’s just not going faster. The best I can tell I’m reaching top speed around 8k rpm. No other issues on the sled, I picked it up this year I’m the 3rd owner so I’m looking for ideas of what someone might have done to cause this.

also carbs have been cleaned, fresh oil, almost new track with studs.

How tight is the track?

There should be at least 1/2-5/8" free sag. Yamaha spec is entirely too tight.

The engine should turn 87-8800 at WOT.

Check the clutches(springs, weights, buttons on helix) belt, driveshaft and jackshaft bearings. Parking brake adjustment. Chaincase tension (finger tight, back off 1/4 turn) Something is dragging the engine down.

I’ll check
How tight is the track?

There should be at least 1/2-5/8" free sag. Yamaha spec is entirely too tight.

The engine should turn 87-8800 at WOT.

Check the clutches(springs, weights, buttons on helix) belt, driveshaft and jackshaft bearings. Parking brake adjustment. Chaincase tension (finger tight, back off 1/4 turn) Something is dragging the engine down.

I’ll check them out. The track is good within spec. I don’t feel any drag when spinning the engine over. But I’ll check that out.

what should the gearing and clutching be for a stock RS vector

I don't know what gearing or clutch springs are stock.

I'll guarantee gearing isn't the problem. Even if it was geared down, it would go faster than 72. A Vector will hit 95-100 mph, a 25+ mph reduction isn't gearing.

Something in the driveline is binding/dragging causing the engine to labor, not rev out and reduce top speed.

Track too tight or clutching for sure. Catman is right, you should be spinning 87-8800 on these sleds.

could be a weak primary spring as the sled is 15 years old and it might not have ever been changed.

Back