• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Topping Off Coolant Question...

dbroaddu

Question, when topping off coolant can i JUST top it off at the plastic filler tank above the clutch or do I have to top off both the neck (under the hood, above the resonator) AND the coolant tank?

I ask because I was blessed with one of the VIPERS with leaky coolant and loose clamps on the radiator hoses and I replaced the lower one, since I over tightened and stripped it. So, when I removed the old clamp to install the new clamp, maybe 2 ounces dripped out of the hose until I could get the new clamp tightened down.

Anyway, I put the hood back on after verifying that was no more leaking, but without topping if off at the neck (above the resonator)... however the level in my coolant tank looks good, but i will keep and I eye on it after I warm it up and let it cool back down.

Sorry for the Newb question, but do I need to pull the hood back off and top off the neck or just watch the level in the plastic tank?

Thanks fellas!

Owners Manual page 22 says:

Check cold

Check coolant at filler neck and coolant tank fill to full marks.

Normal inspection point is coolant tank level to full point from dealer mechanic who has got his s#|+ together. Once correct no need to pull hood to check filler neck, just monitor coolant tank to full mark.

If you didn't loose more than that topping off the bottle tank up to the "COLD" mark (when cold) should be a good starting point... After running for awhile check to see how it looks warm. Should be higher in the bottle....... MM.

Back