• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track Alignment and Vibration Problem

TrapperT

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper 153LE
I have a problem aligning the track on my 2016 SR Viper MTX153LE. No matter how I set the rear adjuster bolts, it tracks to the left at the front (driveshaft). The axle drivers then contact the track drive nubs/clips and I get a lot of track vibration felt in the running boards and handlebars. Everything looks straight and level, nothing bent in the skidframe, and the driveshaft bearings are good. Track is original 3'' lug, 3" pitch. Ice Age rails are new last year. When I run the sled on a stand to adjust the alignment, it tracks to the left in forward, and to the right in reverse. Any ideas?

I had the same issue with a 15 viper mtx w/153 and 2.6 lug from day one new .Every thing was straight and in alignment nothing bent etc.Dealership could not find anything wrong , they even changed drivers and tried a different track but it still would ride over to left side going forward and the right side in reverse and cause vibration. The final out come was they tightened the track very tight and told me to just drive it like that and that it was normal with tall lug tracks.Dealership and yamaha would not do anything else to rectify .

Thanks for the reply rla1. Well I know for sure that this is not normal with tall lug tracks! We have two of these same sleds. My wife's is the exact same year and model with only 2 digits different in the VIN. Her's has 6000km and has always ran centered and smooth. Mine has 7000km, and has always been a problem. I've gone through many anti-stab wheels and bearings, cracked 2 rails (before replacing with Ice Age), and had 2 heat exchangers that developed cracks along the welds that I think are due to the vibrations (big job and $ to replace those). None of these problems with the other sled. I replaced her track with a Camso Backcountry X 153 x 1.75 this year, and put her original Powerclaw 3" (still in great shape) on my sled. Still no improvement.

So this is what I'm going to do....

1. Install a new track - Camso Backcountry X 153x1.75
This track has 1.0" wide openings compared to 1.5" on the Powerclaw 3", so the track won't be able to wander sideways as much on the front axle drivers. It's a tougher looking track, and clipped every opening (should help smoothen vibration)

2. Install new 8-tooth drivers (similar to BTX setup)
These larger drivers cause less stress on the track than the 7-tooth due to larger bending radius and more teeth in contact with the track. There will also be less contact pressure on the front tip of the rails with larger diameter drivers

3. Press the two new drivers on so that their centre-centre distance is a slight bit wider than standard. This should also restrict the track from wandering sideways. If/when it tries to move sideways, the outside of the track openings would contact the outside of the extrovert cogs before the track clips contact the inside of the drivers

Anyone see any problems with this? Or have other ideas?

Anyone ever check that the driveshaft is actually square in the tunnel? After all, it is a Cat chassis.
When the rear axle is not square (adjusted evenly), it causes things to track to one side or the other. Wouldn't be any different for the drive axle which is the opposite end... I'd assume that would shift the track to one side all day long, dog tracking...

Last edited:

Back