• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track Tension and Racheting

Rapid Rider

Hello everyone,
I have been a spectator, reading a lot of the posts. This is a very informational website. This is my first post. I tried the search feature to try and answer my question but, I couldn't find anything to point me in the right direction. I have a 04 RX1 stock with 192 studs and the SLP hyfax anti wear pads. I bought the sled in January with 600 miles on it. Now it has 2100 miles on it and I love the torque this sled produces. My biggest problem is the track ratcheting. I'm running the track tighter than specs. but it still ratchets under hard acceleration. I hate running it so tight knowing it is robbing HP and efficiency. What are you guys doing to stop the ratcheting?

Rapid Rider, You might want to check your W-arm in the front of the rear suspension. If this is broken anywhere in the assembly, it will flex and allow the track to ratchet.

I found the best way to limit the ratcheting is to put external drivers on the drive shaft, that was you can almost eliminate the ratcheting and run the track way more loose at the same time. Drivers are cheep but the clips for the track are almost $200 and you need a special tool to ensure you have them tight enough. Also you have to cut out all of the windows on the track. (Tip, dip your utility knife in oil, makes cutting the rubber WAY easier)

I am with Viper Dave check the suspension and drive axle for cracks or flex and that will lead to ratchetting even with a tight track.

My Apex is not very tight and does not ratchet.

Yamadoo

Back