• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trading a 2005 RS Rage for a 2012 carryover XTX. Questions.

yamajammer76 said:
Well I am supposed to pick it up on Saturday. He is giving me a good trade in and the rebates are very good now especially on the 2012. I know the 2013 would be at least $1,000 more and that pushes me pretty hard on the budget.

I guess if the Nytro XTX isn't a very good sled maybe I should just stay on my old Rage, however I just would like something that is a little lighter and sportier in the bumps.

I should clarify, I came directly off a Rev XP to my first 4 stroke experience and it was probably mostly the additional weight that I hated. The bc track just completed it and made the thing feel much lighter and more of what I was used too and fit my riding style.
The XTX is truly a great sled... I have atleast 5 buddies who swear by them (all stock form) and they go everywhere I go. The beauty of the XTX is there is so much potiential (fun factor) that can be unlocked.
Coming from a RS, you'll be much more familiar with the extra weight. I would never deter somebody from buying an XTX...

Budgets suck - I hear ya man! but, you can always pick up a track next year. :)

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Like I said I am coming from a 136" 1.25" right now so I don't expect that a 144" 1.25" is going to be worse off trail. It does sound like wider skis can make a big difference on these if they do sink down too much. I know my Rage is a sinker, but as long as your not afraid... just punch it and she will walk out.

The savings does make it much more afforable and I can upgrade the skis if needed for cheap and always go with a larger track in the coming years if I want more capability.

I am the sort of person who buys a new sled and gets about 6 to 7 seasons out of it so I will have it around for a long time.

Just curious and I know Yamaha doesn't really publish weights, but how does the weight of the XTX compare to my '05 RS Rage? Am I saving a few pounds? I'm very used to a heavy 4 stroke, but a few pounds would be nice.

The FX Nytro XTX is around 540 lbs dry. I had an older 06 RS Nytro that if I remember correctly weighed around 600 and that was with a 121 inch track. I would think your Rage would be even heavier since it's longer. The FX Nyto is actually a very light sled for a 4 stoke. It's just all in the front on the FX. I like mine alot and could tell it was lighter from day 1.

Well I picked it up today. I'm excited to get a chance to ride it! I have listened to what everyone has said, but you know over the years I have always been fairly happy with a stock sled and then I have tweaked the little things I didn't like. I am going to do the same with the Nytro. It was a little sad to leave my Rage behind because it was such a good sled over the years, but it is always neat when you trade for something that is COMPLETELY different.

I hear the engine pulls hard! I can't wait to try it out.

Attachments

• 578398_10151047917276555_1823989091_n.jpg
    578398_10151047917276555_1823989091_n.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 59
Congrats on the purchase. Now comes the worst part.... the wait to finally ride the new toy. I have been waiting since June :o| Just can't seem to find enough things to keep me distracted. Hopefully archery season will help me pass the time quickly and that we have an early and very snowy winter here in Michigan finally

When I first got my Nytro XTX and after the first major ride. I had serious reservations about the sled. But after some tweeking and add-ons. I love the sled.
Best sled I have owned so far.

Here is what I did to get mine to where I like.

Changed skis to 6.9 Pilots. Great skis for floatation, easier steering, and very little darting.
Tall windshield with the side flairs.
Hygear tripple rate springs. Made the sled corner way better and took away some
of the bouncy business in the suspension.
Re-adjusted the transfer rods. My sled when I first got it wheeled hard. Ok for racing,
but coming out of a corner the front end would shout for the sky and I couldn't turn. No biggy, a couple of tweeks and works good.

Bigger gas tank, clutch kit, header, and skinz muffller.

Slider wear has never been an issue with me. I have the ski doo wheels.
Once the sliders wear to a point they stop. Easily can go 1500-2000 miles on a set.

Congrats on your new ride.

My sled is pretty much stock yet, I came off a 03 RX1 and my first coupole rides I was not to happy but after the first year, a little tweaking on the suspension the sled is a hoot to ride. You wont regret it... Congrats on the new ride.. :Rockon:

Roost 'Er said:
If you dont mind, how much did the 2012 run ya?

Ive found pricing from $8799 to $9999. Seems to be all over the map.

$10,600 but I got $4,000 ($3,500+$500 Yamaha trade allowance) for mine. Since I was given about $1,000 more then normal book trade in on an '05 Rage ($2,500) I was happy enough with the deal. So anyhow I guess if you wanted to figure mine for what a book price trade would have been then I paid about $9,600 for it. Anyhow I felt like $6,600 was a decent difference for a 7 year old sled with about 5,000 miles on it. I know a two stroke at that age and mileage would never have as good of resale value.

Cheap financing helped as well since I just don't have the money to pay cash for a new sled.

By the time you factored in the $1000 extra for your sled your right in the market. Also i have been pricing black sleds which seem alot easier to find, have come across very little blue ones left. Congrats sled looks awesome.

First off congrats on the new sled, your going to have a blast on it! The sled is perfectly fine to run stock, just read through this nytro section and the sticky post at the top. Extremely helpful is getting the sled set up before your frustrated on the first ride. All the work has been done for you just fine a set up and you can fine tune from there. I ran mine completely stock the first year with just suspension tweaking and skis toed out, all free mods, was a blast!

Now the bad new.......reading this forum and all the mods there is to do to this sled are extremely addicting!!! So get ready hahaha All mods are not necessary but some are very recommended and make the sled so much more fun to ride.

Congrats on the new ride, got mine last year and just love it, I have not experienced any of the handling issues but I am going to change out the ski's. I have been riding Doo's for a long time as I was a dealer but just love the Nytro. :Rockon:

sorenson1610 said:
First off congrats on the new sled, your going to have a blast on it! The sled is perfectly fine to run stock, just read through this nytro section and the sticky post at the top. Extremely helpful is getting the sled set up before your frustrated on the first ride. All the work has been done for you just fine a set up and you can fine tune from there. I ran mine completely stock the first year with just suspension tweaking and skis toed out, all free mods, was a blast!

Now the bad new.......reading this forum and all the mods there is to do to this sled are extremely addicting!!! So get ready hahaha All mods are not necessary but some are very recommended and make the sled so much more fun to ride.

I don't really have the money to get too carried away with mods, however I'm probably not as fussy or have as much cash as some people. With that said it does sound like one of the biggest complaints are the stock skis. My 2012 was supposed to have a new ski design so possibly it is an improvement over some of the first Nytros. With that said I have been looking at the new Tuner skis that are coming stock on the 2013s. The price seems within my budget and from what I have read people really like them. Anyone have any experience with the new Tuner skis on the Nytro? What would be a good wear bar combo for something sort of in between aggressive and docile?

Thanks for the comments and I am excited for winter!

Back