• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail Riding with a 09 FX Nytro

hollyjason1977

Veteran
standard 09 FX Nytro I have been struggling all winter to get this snowmobile set up right, I do 95% trail riding and in the smallest bumps it about throws me off the sled (like a bucking bronco). The front doesn’t seem too bad but it is the rear suspension is awful. I thought about buying Ulmer adjustable transfer Blocks….will this help? I would appreciate any help p on taming this beast down (my old cat is looking good right now)
Setting
Rider 250 Lb
Front Strap- Stock
Rear Strap- Stock
Front suspension
2 click from full soft on rebound
6 click from full soft on compression
Rear suspension
Hard spring (if I set this to Med it feels like I lose steering)
Compression 8 clicks from full soft

:drink:

i have the se but i put the spring on soft, pulled up the front limiter strap 2 holes, switched to skidoo pilot skis with dual stud boy 7.5 inch shaper bars, lowered front shock presure to 40 psi, i do all groomed trail riding and struggled till i got to this set up,sled still never bottoms out no matter what, i hope it helps

Try loosening the pre-load of the front shock in the rear (the one with the coil-over), when I was finished adjusting it, I had one or two threads left showing on the shock body. I set my rear torsion spring on hard. I am 240lbs, and run mine pretty soft, and it works fine.

My suggestion would be to do like GetHighRacewear
said. Start by loosening the front coil spring in the skid. I think you'll be surprised how much difference this will make in the smaller bumps. For 250 lb rider I would keep the torsions on hard. I DO NOT suggest pulling up the limiter straps. Pulling the limiters is taking away suspension travel. I would only suggest doing that as a last resort.

hollyjason1977, keep us updated on what changes you make and if it gets better. I'm struggling a bit with my settings as well and am curious to see what works to soften the smaller bumps.

I loosened up the center spring as much as I could, set the rear spring to hard and adjust the compression down in the front and rear shocks. We had 3 days of 55-60 degree weather no snow left I will update when/if we get more snow this year…. I might have to test ride in my yard….

Thanks for your help!!!

I loosened up front shock in the rear and had only a few threads left showing (this adjustment made all the difference). I set my rear torsion spring on Med. Front compression 2 clicks from full soft, rear 3 clicks from full soft. Never touched the limiting straps. Sled rides great!! Thanks for your help!

hollyjason1977 said:
I loosened up front shock in the rear and had only a few threads left showing (this adjustment made all the difference). I set my rear torsion spring on Med. Front compression 2 clicks from full soft, rear 3 clicks from full soft. Never touched the limiting straps. Sled rides great!! Thanks for your help!

X2 for me at 185lbs as well.

Oh and front preload is at the 5.57inch soft setting.

Back