• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

trailering questions

subaru2006

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Polaris SBA
Couple questions.
1. With air shocks and tying your sled down is there anything special? Usually push down to snug the rear up when trailering but never had air shocks before.
2. I read the book and it says not to leave the e brake on for periods longer then 5 minutes. Once again I usually lock that on during transport. Any thoughts??

Subaru2006

Do not set the ebrake on the viper for trailering it can cause all brake fluid to bleed out and have the line burst

Just trailered 300 miles and no problem with setting brake. Never heard of not setting brake when trailering. Does it say it in the manual? Will have to go unset it.

I've never set the parking brake to trailer a sled , what does that do anyways besides you put the bar on skis and put a strap on the back I think the rear strap and bar on skis is plenty .....

I have been pulling mine behind the truck for over a week including 2 runs up north with brake on no prob

My dealer called me today and advised me not to set the parking brake for trailering ..... Even though he did when I picked up my sled . He has heard of lines bursting and fluid leaks in this system.

If I remember correctly my other yamahas had a separate cable operated parking brake .

NOMOREBRAHPP said:
My dealer called me today and advised me not to set the parking brake for trailering ..... Even though he did when I picked up my sled . He has heard of lines bursting and fluid leaks in this system.

If I remember correctly my other yamahas had a separate cable operated parking brake .

You are correct yamaha has always did it that way , the parking brake is separate

Soooooooo a parking brake is for?????? whats the diff if you park on a hill or a trailer and why have I not blown out the system yanking on it coming down from 80 mph??? That squeeze is a lot harder on it then setting the brake

Yeah not exactly sure... the book says not to apply longer then 5 minutes. Because of the pressure pushing the fluids out.

I usually trailer my sleds by securing the back. Pushing down on the rear a little and putting straps on them. Apply brake and go. Always inclosed trailer.

Subaru2006

Brake

My last sled was an 09 Ski-doo Renegade and that service guy told me when I picked it up not to set it for long periods of time?? I stopped using it for trailering in 09 and none of sleds has ever budged an inch in the trailer. Just set it to get of the sled when the trailer is in tilt.

Reason they say that is the brake gradually fades over time when set in park. It should not hurt anything. Just pump it once when you release lever. If a line bursts the line was junk and would burst first time you used brake hard.

seems it could easily be forgotten that the parking brake is on and if you try to take off hard enough you could smoke a belt.... at least my wife can. she's proven that before!! LOL.
sure miss having the parking brake lever like on past sleds as a reminder to flip it up. anyone have any reminder tricks for the viper style parking brakes?

Back