• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo 2 strokes vs turbo 4 strokes...

mulot30th

Lifetime Member
Website
youtube.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2023 thundercat
apex mountain crracing 174
apex blower 136 for asphalt racing
osp drag race sled (apex engine based)
There is a guy here with a turbo M7 that keeps telling me that turbo 2 strokes are less prone to engine destruction than a turboed 4 stroke yammi.

Beside the fact I have had all kind of problems with my tapex... (I suspect a 'lemon' engine from day one in my case) I don't read much horror stories on turbo 4 strokes.

Not either on turbo 2 smokes too, but I know there are much less turbo 2 strokec of course.

So what to think about all this?

Personnally I don't believe a single second that turbo 2 strokes are more reliable than turbo 4 strokes.

good point. I know a few hill and mountain guys who insist that a turbo 2 stroke is like a grenade waiting for the pin to fall out, and this is from 2 stroke owners.
On the other hand, 4 strokes if done right are usually pretty reliable.

MulotTurbo said:
There is a guy here with a turbo M7 that keeps telling me that turbo 2 strokes are less prone to engine destruction than a turboed 4 stroke yammi.

Beside the fact I have had all kind of problems with my tapex... (I suspect a 'lemon' engine from day one in my case) I don't read much horror stories on turbo 4 strokes.

Not either on turbo 2 smokes too, but I know there are much less turbo 2 strokec of course.

So what to think about all this?

Personnally I don't believe a single second that turbo 2 strokes are more reliable than turbo 4 strokes.

I have a bunch of 2 stroke paper weights around to disprove that :-o

we used to run the first choice turbos back in the day on polaris XLT triples. For the time, they were rockets ships but they also blew up alot, we had one sled we had to put pistons in it every week. In total hindsight, we now know why they blow up. But I agree with Ted and you mulot, They can't be the same level or more reliable.

I read an article about this once and the guy stated the reason that two stroke turbos are not reliable is because they can never remove the heat fast enough, unlike a four stroke which has twice the time to do so. He was one who tried turboing two smokes for years. This makes sense to me because alot of problems are caused from heat eg. deto and metal failures. Fuel injection systems on todays new machines might make it easier to turbo the two strokes without burning through the tops of pistons but as for reliability I have never been more impressed with the turbo apex's every time I go to the mountains you see more and more of them big horsepower little fustration!

LMFAO! N/A ski-doo engines will only go 3,000 miles. How is turbo-ing them going to make them MORE reliable?

rfabro said:
LMFAO! N/A ski-doo engines will only go 3,000 miles. How is turbo-ing them going to make them MORE reliable?

Guys are talking about Arctic Cat engines, not doo engines.

I bet its because of my apex and all the engine problems I got through in the past 2 years and his M7 with a turbo and no engine problem...

Go check out www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJXSfLTEpw

This is my 2-stroke Turbocharged Yamaha Vmax-4 that some of you may have read about on various websites. We set a ISR World Record this weekend in the "Open Lake Racer" class at the CMSA (new NSSR) speed runs this past Sunday in Forest Lake, MN.

This was our first time out with the sled off the dyno and laid down a record 144.581 mph run in 1000' and backed it up with a 144.481 mph run. The sled runs 20 pounds of boost and weighs 761 pounds with the driver. The sled has much left in it for sure as this was our first day. We will be running at the Lakewoods Weenie Roast where we should be running 150 mph in 1000' with a day or so of tuning on the gun.

Reliability has not been a issue.

Nice sled, Those are still one of my favorite sleds. I seen a guy that used to try none stop up on big moose lake to get his Vmax 4 turbo running good. I loved seeing that sled,

Turbo knowledge and technology on snowmobiles has come so far in the past few years. I hear boondockers has some nice 2 stroke turbos, I would give one a try if it wasn't for my attak with a cpr.

I had a 670 Ski doo Summit w/an Aerocharger, and it held up fine, and no issues, but the throttle was like a sponge where as my apex turbo is as snappy as naturally asperated. I think the 4 strokes are a better choice to put a turbo on.

The last two years the turbo's are coming along way on the 2 strokes.They are starting to be as reliable as the 4 stroke turbo's.

Back