• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ulmers clutching help with over rev

MDGFLHR

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Apex SE
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE TD powertrail
144 1.45 studs. Loaded the heel with 4 washers and 2 on other side center empty and tungsten on each side in the tip. Pulls right to 9250 to 9350 and drops off to 9200 or so. From dead stop and roll on same results. A couple times fro. Dead stop I saw 9400 but I'll relate that to traction and very loose snow.
Secondary TP 33/35 helix with orange spring at 3-3. Now I was gonna start off with 4 washers in the heel but that's what my paperwork said for stock sled and it was spot on. I know the sheet posted here says 2 but my paperwork it was crossed out and said 4. Should I remove some from the heel and maybe add a washer or two to the center. Thanks for any help and support

Start with adding 1 washer to both sides in the middle hole. This is like adding 3 grams total.
X2
One washer on each side of center hole, I have the same weights and Powertrail flash. By adding the washers to the center hole it dropped my RPM from 9250 to 8900 on full shift

Should I leave the heel alone? My concern is my paperwork from Allen crossed put the 2 and said start with 4. The sheet posted here says 2 for the heel from stock all the way to stage 3 and 4 flashes. Maybe I'm just over thinking but want the best performance possible. Thanks again

My sheet was just like yours and I’m running 2 on each side of heel with a total of 4. Try it first with just adding the washers to the center, one thing at a time is easier to figure out your setup. If this brings your top rpm into range then try removing a washer on heel to tweak your low end rpm

Ok thanks Budman I appreciate the help
Your welcome, i had the same rpm as you and asked DMCTurbo and he recommended the washers in the center and he was bang on, so thanks to him from myself and all the great members on here, we’re all very helpful.

Last edited:
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE TD powertrail
144 1.45 studs. Loaded the heel with 4 washers and 2 on other side center empty and tungsten on each side in the tip. Pulls right to 9250 to 9350 and drops off to 9200 or so. From dead stop and roll on same results. A couple times fro. Dead stop I saw 9400 but I'll relate that to traction and very loose snow.
Secondary TP 33/35 helix with orange spring at 3-3. Now I was gonna start off with 4 washers in the heel but that's what my paperwork said for stock sled and it was spot on. I know the sheet posted here says 2 but my paperwork it was crossed out and said 4. Should I remove some from the heel and maybe add a washer or two to the center. Thanks for any help and support
I am confused by your title,ltx-se TD powertrail,but than you state stock sled,or was that just for stock sled in his paperwork? Anyways,what weights do you have? Are they STM supertips,by the sound they are!I have the same weights,come from Ulmers stage 2 set up for my evo stage 4,and now I have been fighting with overrev rpms because this skid does not squat and get traction at all,yesterday I got to get 170 hard miles on,belt and clutches cool to the touch,but no top end at all 101 gps on rr grade 2500 feet new groomed soft running,but still,wtf is going on. Have allens red/blk 30/90 spring,on supertips loaded two washers and o- ring on each side in heel,center empty,tips have a tungsten on each side for a total weight of 82.8 overall,and secondary stock yellow secondary spring on stock 35 shimmed,is nice through trails,and awesome mid till 90 plus than fall on its face,i do have tpi orange springs and the stm 38 straight.

I am confused by your title,ltx-se TD powertrail,but than you state stock sled,or was that just for stock sled in his paperwork? Anyways,what weights do you have? Are they STM supertips,by the sound they are!I have the same weights,come from Ulmers stage 2 set up for my evo stage 4,and now I have been fighting with overrev rpms because this skid does not squat and get traction at all,yesterday I got to get 170 hard miles on,belt and clutches cool to the touch,but no top end at all 101 gps on rr grade 2500 feet new groomed soft running,but still,wtf is going on. Have allens red/blk 30/90 spring,on supertips loaded two washers and o- ring on each side in heel,center empty,tips have a tungsten on each side for a total weight of 82.8 overall,and secondary stock yellow secondary spring on stock 35 shimmed,is nice through trails,and awesome mid till 90 plus than fall on its face,i do have tpi orange springs and the stm 38 straight.
I’m running TD Powertrail this year with Turbo force muffler.
Xtx Le 137 - has the 1.75 inch backcountry track.
Ulmer’s primary clutch kit - 60YS stm weights.
Weight;
Heel 2 washers per side
Center 2 washer per side
Outer 1 tungsten per side
Clutch engages at 2800 rpm
Stock secondary helix and spring.

I had to add 2 washers on each side of center hole to get the RPM down to 8900 on full shift out. Hits 9150 -9200 on initial punch and then pulls rpm down when she gets moving .

I haven’t had a chance to hold it for top end comparison to last year numbers when I was running stock. I can say this year it pulls insane on acceleration and I can lift the ski’s at will. Last year it didn’t lift the ski’s once with stock power.

I’m running TD Powertrail this year with Turbo force muffler.
Xtx Le 137 - has the 1.75 inch backcountry track.
Ulmer’s primary clutch kit - 60YS stm weights.
Weight;
Heel 2 washers per side
Center 2 washer per side
Outer 1 tungsten per side
Clutch engages at 2800 rpm
Stock secondary helix and spring.

I had to add 2 washers on each side of center hole to get the RPM down to 8900 on full shift out. Hits 9150 -9200 on initial punch and then pulls rpm down when she gets moving .

I haven’t had a chance to hold it for top end comparison to last year numbers when I was running stock. I can say this year it pulls insane on acceleration and I can lift the ski’s at will. Last year it didn’t lift the ski’s once with stock power.
Is your sled uncoupled being an xtx and not an ltx?

Just add weight wherever really and it will get your rpms down. Its not so much an exact science. Every sled is a little different, springs are different, snow is different, and people have different preferences

I run tungsten + 3 washers in heel, 4 washers middle and tungsten in tip. Pulls out of the hole at like 8300 or so and ramps up to 8800. Works really well corner to corner, gets out of the hole hard.

Just add weight wherever really and it will get your rpms down. Its not so much an exact science. Every sled is a little different, springs are different, snow is different, and people have different preferences

I run tungsten + 3 washers in heel, 4 washers middle and tungsten in tip. Pulls out of the hole at like 8300 or so and ramps up to 8800. Works really well corner to corner, gets out of the hole hard.
Yes,and traction is everything,my ltx-le does not squat and hole shot at all,just spins badly,and some of it may be my 162 tunnel we had to mod last year,because when I crashed it,dec. 7th there were no parts for anything except the mountain sleds,the 162,so we did the best job possible at the time,to even get this sled going,all said and done,its still not bad,just not as good as some.

Yes,and traction is everything,my ltx-le does not squat and hole shot at all,just spins badly,and some of it may be my 162 tunnel we had to mod last year,because when I crashed it,dec. 7th there were no parts for anything except the mountain sleds,the 162,so we did the best job possible at the time,to even get this sled going,all said and done,its still not bad,just not as good as some.

Ya, with traction im sure you will be better. My brothers LTX is close to my 129 on the holeshot now. I used to absolutely destroy him, but we messed with the shock and spring settings a bit, and took the blocks out of his the rear bar. Much better now. Pulls the skis up 6 inches and goes.

Back