1. We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.
    Dismiss Notice

Valve check?

Discussion in 'SR Viper Talk' started by cannondale27, Mar 17, 2018.

1. cannondale27

cannondale27 Moderator Staff Member Moderator Vendor Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

Man I hope I dont find anything.
    https://ty4stroke.com/threads/season-over-7k-miles-what-service-should-i-do.153071/

Here we go:
    Get your sled to this point(should do every season anyway)
    DSC00981.JPG
    Remove Plugs(Mine all look same and running about perfect)
    DSC00984.JPG
    Remove Valve Cover
    DSC00985.JPG
    Use feeler guages to check spec on all lobes that are facing straight up from Tappet/Bucket and write down. Turn engine at primary CounterClockwise or remove Flywheel Nut Plug in Cover and turn Clockwise till next set of lobes is facing Upward in any position. I preferred turning at nut so I could keep an eye on the chain to ensure it didnt skip. This is position cam needs to be in to check #1 intake
    DSC00987.JPG
    This is my results:
    DSC00986.JPG
    Conclusion 5 of 6 Exhaust are tighter than spec. NONE are tight. In my experience I will go through all the work of getting them in spec and it will do absolutely nothing as far as driveability. It will always bother me if I dont and that 2 mph more thing! But perhaps Yamaha knows that at 13000mi they will lose some and by 20000 they would actually be tight. Now the hard part.
    Final specs(I tweaked #2E a size from what is circled) circled are whats in there now. Will be checking clutch alignment since Mag side bolt was a bugger to get in and clutch side went in with one finger. Cat Crap!
    DSC01036.JPG
    DSC01035.JPG
    I found some shims here. Some at dealer and used this kit. $65 highly recommend.
    DSC01037.JPG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    kjax67, Allan and Janne339 like this.
  3. Janne339

Janne339 VIP Member VIP Member

Sweden
    Snowmobile:
    2014 Yamaha SR Viper XTX MCX-270
    I hope we seeing some pics... ;)!

4. cannondale27

cannondale27 Moderator Staff Member Moderator Vendor Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

Yes there will be. My fingers are crossed.

5. DTJ

DTJ Extreme

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2014 Yamaha Viper XTX
    2013 Yamaha Apex XTX
    Just brought mine home after having valves adjusted. All exhaust valves were tight. I noticed last year every once in awhile it would die after pulling it out of the garage, warmed up to at least 140 before moving. It progressively got worse this season with a low idle warming up, it ended up getting as low as 1000-1100 and then would stall. I had to use throttle to keep it running until warm. I also noticed if I would just tap the throttle the idle would drop down to 1300 and then slowly come back to 1500. Dealer quoted me $426 for four hours labor for adjustment. That's also what they charged even though they said it took 11 hours. Didn't have to pull motor. I could tell a difference immediately when i started it. Just like it used to be, idle at 1800 until warm and then 1500. Still waiting to see if Yamaha will cover any of the cost. I still have warranty but put a hurricane turbo on this year so we'll see what they say. I know of at least two other n/a's that had tight valves, don't really think the turbo contributes. Any thoughts?

cannondale27 likes this.
  6. Allan

Allan TY 4 Stroke Junkie

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2016 Sr Viper XTX
    Mine is doing the same thing as you described right to a T . I got 18500km (11500 miles ) on mine. How many miles did u have on your?
    I was thinking it was valves on mine. Going to take it in next week.
    Mine as every symptoms that u described so now i'm pretty sure it the valves.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Janne339 likes this.
  7. cannondale27

Same here. Once done with skid the valves are next on list.

Janne339 and Allan like this.
  8. DTJ

DTJ Extreme

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2014 Yamaha Viper XTX
    2013 Yamaha Apex XTX
    I'm only at 5800 miles.

9. Allan

Allan TY 4 Stroke Junkie

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2016 Sr Viper XTX
    1/2 of the miles I have on mine. and cannondale27 has more than me. The Valves sound like the problems i'm seeing with my machine.

10. DVW

DVW Extreme

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Arctic Cat 7000
    The link at the top of this thread will take you to detailed description of the symptoms of tight valves. A symptom that is very telling is a hissing sound while cranking engine over after it dies during warmup. I am hoping that valves that tighten up is not a wide spread problem. I do not want people to misdiagnose whatever is going on with their snowmobile. I would hate to see people worried all summer about some problem they read on the internet.

11. DVW

DVW Extreme

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Arctic Cat 7000
    With regard to valve inspection and adjustment. My dealer did the work (twice in 24,000 miles) while I looked over his shoulder. Valve clearance inspection requires removing many parts to expose the camshaft. At that point measurement with a feeler gage is easy. Valve adjustment (shim replacement) typically requires cam removable which requires engine removal to access to cam chain tension adjuster. Many miles after the first occurrence I had the same problem for the second time. This time my dealer removed the cam without engine removal. His process had a tricky step but if done successfully resulted in minimal disturbance of parts.

12. Allan

Allan TY 4 Stroke Junkie

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2016 Sr Viper XTX
    I read that link and my machine does the same thing nut not to the point it well not start. I have Warranty tell dec 2018. So i'm going to take mine in and get it checked in the next few weeks. I have 11500 miles on machine now. this started at about 11000 miles.

13. cannondale27

Don't worry about worrying people. Some will be checking valves and some won't. As long as what you and others say is true I am glad to have heard it. It's only been fear of opening the motor and finding something stopping me from checking them long ago. Thank You

14. Harvest1121

Harvest1121 Extreme

Do you think this will be warranty? Started having the issue about 10,500 I need to call the person I sold my snowmobile to

15. Allan

Allan TY 4 Stroke Junkie

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2016 Sr Viper XTX
    I do because in manual valves need to be inspected at 25000 miles . In my case i'm at 11500 miles and I have 8 months warranty left.

16. STAIN

STAIN VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    I would be surprised if it was warranty. Hopefully it is. Shim under bucket valve adjustments area a pain.