• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Venom Starter Bendix Hitting Ring Gear while Riding

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
As mentioned I blued the mangled teeth and only used pull start last year. Bluing was wiped out quickly. So ordered new Bendix and spring kit hoping they would have been changed for better. In meantime when parts finally came in season was over and I was busy. Warranty also ran out unexpectedly. So on my dime. Not happy. Second issue had to fix myself. Clutching. Third if you count the PDI code they forgot to tell dealers
about. Anyway

Ring Gear is Fine
04E907EC-A96F-4D4F-BEAE-A22CE466B7C3.jpeg

Bendix is not
0C64094F-056D-4036-910F-EAF82F9D6540.jpeg

These are replacement parts. Sure look and measure exactly same to me.
15DFC41F-70AF-4073-84EF-871BB0B8923A.jpeg

Original Parts Left. New on right.
EAB8DFF3-2F12-443B-B998-79397062D3AA.jpeg

0DB94550-D54F-42D9-A503-A2D45BB06C53.jpeg

I stretched the new spring and put both old and new washer on it. One washer under first cup and one top of outer cup. Nut is left hand thread. Use a impact it takes 15 min easy. You will notice I am reusing the old mangled Bendix. Why? Because the brand new one doesnt twist on all the way and stick! What a shitshow. Ticked beyond belief. So need to order another and cross my fingers. Blued the setup and will ride it soon and let you know if stretching spring and adding washers fixes this.
30CC5083-97A9-44F7-8229-84739E8AF488.jpeg

Last edited:

Update Taylor at TA Motorsports looked into this. Not sure why or how but the Bendix I got would be for a Transporter and not a Mountain. This is on the Yamaha fish. Its messed up. The Mountain part is not available out of stock. So on the Cat side there is a updated part. Its available. $116! Ouch. So its ordered. Stay tuned. Oh and dont cold start your sled standing up on boards. It fired and I fell on my #*$&@ on ground!:D

Update Taylor at TA Motorsports looked into this. Not sure why or how but the Bendix I got would be for a Transporter and not a Mountain. This is on the Yamaha fish. Its messed up. The Mountain part is not available out of stock. So on the Cat side there is a updated part. Its available. $116! Ouch. So its ordered. Stay tuned. Oh and dont cold start your sled standing up on boards. It fired and I fell on my #*$&@ on ground!:D
Did you have any luck getting more ski lift. I recall you mentioning that in one of your earlier post

You never mentioned how the two washers/ stretched spring worked out with the old bendix

Look forward to the results hopefully successful

Did you have any luck getting more ski lift. I recall you mentioning that in one of your earlier post

You never mentioned how the two washers/ stretched spring worked out with the old bendix

Look forward to the results hopefully successful
I haven’t ridden it since doing the spring and washer mod. Pretty sure for more lift going to play with a longer limiter strap and speed up rebound on center shock. Also got some different primary springs coming for higher engagement.

I got about 20 mi on it last night. Will look at starter after work. Definitely need to do something suspension wise for lighter front. It’s easy to turn but absolutely no ski lift. Boring!

The tunnel on the transporter is the same. It looks like you’ve got a better shock package. I’ve lengthened the limiter strap and put in a center shock out of my ltx and tighten up the spring it helped a bit but still not enough ski lift for the fun factor.

The tunnel on the transporter is the same. It looks like you’ve got a better shock package. I’ve lengthened the limiter strap and put in a center shock out of my ltx and tighten up the spring it helped a bit but still not enough ski lift for the fun factor.
Thats not my sled. Thats what needs to be done. Going to have to relocate the skid. I would really like to drop the chaincase and duplicate the Alpha exactly.

So it sounds like if you just put in the extra washers this could be the fix? How can they not test this stuff?
It did NOT fix the issue. New updated bendix with new spring and extra washer and it still hits. Running it till it fails then ditching the starter for weight savings or looking for a stiffer spring.

Back