• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Venture GT Questions

Sportourer

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Venture GT
2012 Nytro XTX
I am considering switching from an 07 Apex GT to a 2011 or newer Venture GT. I would like to find out more about the Venture. I have searched for a time line that would show what improvements were made every year but I can not find anything like that. I have 4500 miles on my Apex and as much as I like it, I am tired of getting beat up when everyone else I ride with is not. Most of my miles are in Quebec where it is usually smooth but you do get a bad trail every now and then and they can be a lot of miles! I know about power steering coming in 2011 so that is why I will not go any older than that. I spent a lot of money and time trying to get my Apex to steer easier and not dart so I don't want to go back to that again. I see some Ventures have a removable rear seat. I would really like this feature since I do a lot of solo touring staying at different places every night so, the extra space would be great. What years had this option? I know the GT is the better model of the Venture so I would like to stay with that version. Were there and track lengths other than 144"? Do all GT's have overload springs in the rear? Any other information would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Also, did all Venture GT's come with a rear heat exchanger? And did they also come with tunnel protectors? Or would I have to add tunnel protectors to stud one?

I have a 2012 they don't come with tunnel protectors they have a rear heat exchanger I put a 2011 apex motor in mine because I found the 3 cyl wasn't enough

I have a 2012 with 22500 kms on it. I use snow trackers, and there is no darting.

Power steering usually works, except on my week long adventures, where it ends up being parked outside, in -20 -30 temperatures. You'll have to drive it for 50 km before the module warms up enough for the power steering to work. Yamaha won't do anything for you, which is normal for Yamaha. They blame it on corrosion, even though the sled is spotless, and has never been on an open trailer.

That removable seat you're thinking about is on the other Venture, not the GT. That was a fantastic feature on my last sled. I traded that sled because the engine went in the second year, and was going again when I traded it. It is now my crappy dealer problem. MOTORSPORTS WORLD in Ottawa, a useless dealer.

Run the track A LOT LOOSER than the manual tells you. I'm on my second set of slides.

On my big trips, I have the trunk full of tools and emergency parts, and an extra gallon of gas. I have a big bag of clothes, etc., tied to the seat and backrest. I weigh 180lbs, have my suspension set on the softest setting, and never bottom out.

The front shock in your rear suspension, is set up for a 500 lb driver. To stop your sled from feeling like it is going to fall over in corners, lift the sled, and back off the spring pressure until it's just making contact with the retaining nuts.

Exhaust donuts keep wearing out, and it's a 4 hour job to change them. I put in copper ones, hope they last. Yamahas crappy engineers installed an exhaust bracket in such a manner that you have to drill out all the rivets, and remove that bracket, in order to change those exhaust donuts. If that bracket was re-positioned, you wouldn't have to re-rivet that bracket every time!

This winter, the 3 into one pipe, above the front of the track, broke. I had every Yamaha weld re-welded, as they were all cracked.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far. The suspension is way too soft on my Apex GT so I would like something that is stiffer. I would love to hear more replies and impressions.

I have a 2015 (the last year they made the GT) and love it. You would have to buy a 2012 or newer as only the Apex had power steering in 2011. It will be plenty stiff for you. I have mine set on the softest settings for one up riding or even 2 people that aren't that heavy.

Hi all am new to the forum I have a 2011 venture GT 7000 km just got it and changed all the oils is there anything else I should do to it. I can wait to try it my last venture was a 97 700 loved it

Thanks Jim

do the ski shim mod to it even if replacing the skis and run agressive carbides on it as they tend to push with the stock skis in some conditions. brother has a 2013 and we changed the skis because it was pushing so bad.

I have the Woody 6 inch Doolys just put on and where can I find the the ski shim mod I will get that done

Thanks Jim

It is in the tec pages.

Back