• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vermont Riding?

Mad Dog

LaLaLa
Some friends and I have been planning a week long trip to canada(Ontario), but the snow does not look great and we have ridden there before. We are now thinking of going to Vermont. It is a little longer of a drive, but none of us have ridden there, and thought it might be neat to try a new area. I am wondering if there are some Vermont riders here who can suggest a good area to start. Location of trailheads would be helpful. We are coming from Chicago area so something toward the south and western part of the state would be good. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

More Snow!!
:jump:

As a resident snowmobiler in Vermont for many years I will share my opinion.Welcome !!! We have awesome trails and great people. First check the VAST website it is very helpfull. I like the northern part of the state because this is where I live. I have ridden all over the southern parts and thet are beautiful too and sometimes get more snow. .I frequently ride Troy,Jay,Canaan,Derby,Norton,Lowell,Eden.All along the border over to Island Pond Then move south Groton, Plainfield, Routes 100 and 302. This is all mixed riding mountains, powerlines,railroad beds,lakes,etc. Some narrow single track to doublewide corridors. The websites can help with accomodations and there are plenty. Try to ride midweek as it can be exceptional, freshly groomed ribbons sometimes all to yourself. Try to take the time to look around too as there are a lot of awesome views. Ride safe Ride right !

I've ridden Vermont for the past 12 years. South, central, north. It's all good with a great trail system, signage, map, and grooming. You can get to anywhere from anywhere. There are a few popular areas that you want to stay away from on weekends, Woodford (southern most area), Island Pond (north west area), and Plymouth (central) but mid-week these areas are great. Two weeks ago we got 30" of snow and this past weekend the trails in the northern part of the state were as good as I've ever seen them. I would suggest basing yourself in Plymouth (Killington area). You can do a day ride south to Woodford and back. Then do an overnighter north to Island Pond through Danville. If you have the time, spend an extra day up there and do Derby, Newport, Jay over to St. Albins.

How many days do you plan to ride? And what part of the week would you be here? I'll map it out for you.

http://www.vtvast.org/

Thanks for the info! We plan to arive sometime on Wed and ride till the following Monday. So we will have a little mid week riding as well as the weekend. We do a lot of saddlebagging so we don't really have to have a "home base" to stay at. We usually try to ride every day to a new location. We generally ride 100-200 miles per day so we can cover a lot of ground. Thanks again for all of the input, much appreciated!

Thanks for all the info, but now it looks like the rest of the group want to go to New York. It is tough planning a trip with 5 guys, everyone has a different idea of what they want to do. So as of now it looks like the majority vote is for New York, so I guess this thread is dead unless there are others in New York that have suggesstions. Thanks again for the input!

Back