• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper vs Procross

o's srx

Lifetime Member
I'm just wondering if anyone has both a Viper and a 2012-2013 Arctic Cat procross sled that can give me some info on the differences of build quality.
I'm asking this as I bought a 2012 F1100 n-a (naturally aspirated), to try out the chassis as I couldn't afford to spend +$11000 to just try out the new viper ($6000 for F1100). I like the ride, it's easier to ride harder when I want to, when compared to my Apex. I'm not talking about the weight difference, just the rider position and ergonomics on it.
As I'm doing regular maintenance on the F1100 I'm noticing just a few simple things that to me seem a lot harder to perform. I'm comparing it to my 2006 Apex RTX. I've had 3 SRX's and a vmax before my Apex (had my Apex for 8yrs now) and an R6 and 2 R1's, so I think I have a idea on how Yamaha designs things and their ideas for wrenching on them.
I'm just wondering if the viper has more in common with the F1100, or with other Yamaha products.
I guess this would apply to the new sidewinder as well, but seeing that the Viper has been out for longer, I'd get a better response here.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Hey, they are the same sled with a different engine.

Yours is a non turbo 1100 i assume? The only difference is the viper will be a little faster and the clutching is a little more reliable.

I know the difference in the power plant, I was just trying to find out if there's much difference in the chassis with regards to ease of maintenance.
I think I remember that Yamaha rejected the first couple of versions Arctic sent them, but wasn't sure if they kept their own n gave Yamaha slightly tweaked versions with the required alterations they wanted.

Pretty much same.What specifically are you talking about as far as Yamaha advantage? Engine is same. Oil filter change is easier. Fasteners and sizes Yamaha uses are way better. Less tools needed on a Japan Yamaha but really not a big deal and quality is better on ProCross/Viper in some areas like bushings and balljoints.

I was noticing that all the zip ties are one and done, not reusable as a lot of them are on the Apex. I also had to re-route parts of the wiring harness as the we're getting into pinch points. The reverse button when pressed, killed the engine as the one wire was pinched and grounding out. It's just minor little things like that which I'm coming across. Even getting at things, it seems that they had no thoughts of how to work on them when it was designed. Just adjusting the headlight was a pain or having no actual drain plug for the oil reservoir or chaincase. Or even using sheet metal type torx screws instead of nuts and bolts.
Like I said just minor things in the great scheme of thingss.

Back