• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

VK Pro 2016 3 year review and update!!

chateaupitsie

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 550f grand touring, 2000 440 Bearcat, 1998 340 Bearcat, 1984 Scandic 503, 1989 Safari 377, 1988 Bravo LT,1983 Everest 500, 2009 600 Polaris Switchback, 2016 VK Pro ii,
Good day!! Back in the winter of 2016 I researched and test drove several sleds. In 2017 I purchased the 2016 VK Pro 2. After using it on the trap line, -30 degree cold weather starts and geese hunting in the May spring hunt season my update review as follow:

Pros:

Warm sled. Good protection from cold when driving in-30 temps
Can pull it’s weight in gold and then some!
Good not great gas mileage
Decent ride
Solid platform
Peppy engine, good speed
Large tank or fuel
Warmth from under seat with storage is a big plus

Cons:

Heavy a brute
Mirrors are anything but strategic
Sliders wears quick from weight I think and huge track
Steering can be a workout
Headlight poor
Noisy clutch
Shitty shifter manual to reverse
Tippy
Stability in angles on sides of hill trails poor

I ended up doing several mods including rerouting exhaust through the seat. Extended windshield, low snow kit - added extra bogie wheels. Added extra wide ski skins for the tippy situation. Overall the VK Pro 2 rates a serious strong “B” from me. The sled is out paced by the Bombardier ACE sled line up. However, I prefer the VK to the Skandics and the Tundra’s. The Renegades, Expeditions and two up touring are a notch better. If I had the VK with the power steering it may make a difference. The sled is tippy. Driving on angles on the side of hills or steep areas with the sled can be an adventure. Don’t get stuck with it. Just came back from a drive out to cabin ended up with a ski issue. Ski mounting slid out of the booth. Never saw that happen before. MacGyvering and A bit of luck, strong rope and a good knot got us back home.

7DBA9521-4EA3-4715-99D9-A3EA15405FCF.jpeg The ski leg. Took some serious McGyvering with a good knot and know how to get home on this!

1st one i seen broken like that. seen one twisted because a guy towed it out by the ski tips with his truck.

1st one i seen broken like that. seen one twisted because a guy towed it out by the ski tips with his truck.
Yes, me too! What is the proper name for the leg and assembly for ordering purposes?

8ES-23803-00-00 is part # from yamaha.

looks like it fits all the rs venture sleds, all the vk pro,rs rage, pre eps vectors and pre eps apex (06 to present where i found the listing) if you are looking for a used one.

Thank you! Will order it. The season still has a few weeks (Maybe first week in June) left to go to get some useage out of sled.yamaha burton.jpg

Thank you! Will order it. The season still has a few weeks (Maybe first week in June) left to go to get some useage out of sled.View attachment 161403

Would call Travis at Barn of parts and he likely can get used but good in mail today. ? About shipping into Canada though, if you have a used option as stated they should be available

Would call Travis at Barn of parts and he likely can get used but good in mail today. ? About shipping into Canada though, if you have a used option as stated they should be available
Thanks! Yes I ordered parts from our local dealer! Thank you for the part numbers...came in handy!!

Good day!! Back in the winter of 2016 I researched and test drove several sleds. In 2017 I purchased the 2016 VK Pro 2. After using it on the trap line, -30 degree cold weather starts and geese hunting in the May spring hunt season my update review as follow:

Pros:

Warm sled. Good protection from cold when driving in-30 temps
Can pull it’s weight in gold and then some!
Good not great gas mileage
Decent ride
Solid platform
Peppy engine, good speed
Large tank or fuel
Warmth from under seat with storage is a big plus

Cons:

Heavy a brute
Mirrors are anything but strategic
Sliders wears quick from weight I think and huge track
Steering can be a workout
Headlight poor
Noisy clutch
Shitty shifter manual to reverse
Tippy
Stability in angles on sides of hill trails poor

I ended up doing several mods including rerouting exhaust through the seat. Extended windshield, low snow kit - added extra bogie wheels. Added extra wide ski skins for the tippy situation. Overall the VK Pro 2 rates a serious strong “B” from me. The sled is out paced by the Bombardier ACE sled line up. However, I prefer the VK to the Skandics and the Tundra’s. The Renegades, Expeditions and two up touring are a notch better. If I had the VK with the power steering it may make a difference. The sled is tippy. Driving on angles on the side of hills or steep areas with the sled can be an adventure. Don’t get stuck with it. Just came back from a drive out to cabin ended up with a ski issue. Ski mounting slid out of the booth. Never saw that happen before. MacGyvering and A bit of luck, strong rope and a good knot got us back home.

Couldn’t help but notice we use VK’s in similar temps and climate. Not sure if you had the VK Professional prior to the VK Pro II but if you did, I’m sure you’re familiar with the windshield steaming up and frosting over while stopped idling after the sled has warmed up in cold weather especially light frosty snow weather? I had gotten into the habit of lifting the hood when stopped for smoke breaks etc. to avoid the steaming up. Does the VK Pro II do this? Only asking because there are some obvious differences to hood/headlight shape/design

thanks

Couldn’t help but notice we use VK’s in similar temps and climate. Not sure if you had the VK Professional prior to the VK Pro II but if you did, I’m sure you’re familiar with the windshield steaming up and frosting over while stopped idling after the sled has warmed up in cold weather especially light frosty snow weather? I had gotten into the habit of lifting the hood when stopped for smoke breaks etc. to avoid the steaming up. Does the VK Pro II do this? Only asking because there are some obvious differences to hood/headlight shape/design

thanks
Fro-1. Thanks, yes the windshields can be a pain below -25. I drilled two 1/4 inch holes in the dash to let heat up from the engine. Seems to have helped. Also the outside vent near windshield, I tried covering it up...not much use in that. I usually don’t lift up the hood unless I’m the spring like now to cool it off. But, may be worth a try.

Fro-1. Thanks, yes the windshields can be a pain below -25. I drilled two 1/4 inch holes in the dash to let heat up from the engine. Seems to have helped. Also the outside vent near windshield, I tried covering it up...not much use in that. I usually don’t lift up the hood unless I’m the spring like now to cool it off. But, may be worth a try.
It’s a nuisance for sure, lifting the hood, but it eliminates having to continue on your journey looking over the frosted up windshield instead of through it for sure, especially having the highest windshield option. My Venture TF does the same and unfortunately there is no hood to lift up and you aren’t about to start removing plastic panels in minus anything when just stopped for a few minutes.
So the fact you drilled some holes means the VK Pro II encounters the same issue then? Or is that on the regular VK Pro you did this?

Yes, it is the VK PRO 2. The windshield does ice up. I will take a couple of pictures and post them of the holes I drilled.

My VK PRO ll does it too but I wouldn't say badly.

I see two possible sources for the warm moist air that causes the frost on our windshields. The first is the engine compartment which is amply vented, perhaps too amply. So keep the snow out to reduce steam. I block off the nose grill under the bumper when in deep snow. Others have popped the vents out and screened them (panty hose).

The second theory for the source of the steam is the front of tunnel heat exchanger. I don't buy this one but hardly a day passes when I'm not wrong about something ... I'm married. Don't see a fix for that one ... heat exchanger steam that is.

My VK PRO ll does it too but I wouldn't say badly.

I see two possible sources for the warm moist air that causes the frost on our windshields. The first is the engine compartment which is amply vented, perhaps too amply. So keep the snow out to reduce steam. I block off the nose grill under the bumper when in deep snow. Others have popped the vents out and screened them (panty hose).

The second theory for the source of the steam is the front of tunnel heat exchanger. I don't buy this one but hardly a day passes when I'm not wrong about something ... I'm married. Don't see a fix for that one ... heat exchanger steam that is.

Seems like right above the radiator that sits on topside of the engine but, seeming as how my Venture doesn’t have the same additional rad, I’m often convinced I’m getting steam from the heat of my headlights. In fact, as a crude but effective remedy, I keep a black neck pillow (colour doesn’t matter but less noticeable) stuffed into the nose crevice of my dash/windshield behind the gauges and it makes a big difference. The beanbag-like filling makes it easy to take shape of the area, heavy enough to stay put and it’s easy to take out and shake snow off or dry inside if it gets wet.

Back