• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

VK second Radiator install instructions needed

markddapexgt

Extreme
I am helping a friend who grooms for his ski club with overheating problems on his 2006 VK and have ordered the secondary additional radiator kit to help solve the problem. Yamaha has supplied the Kit ,,,,now almost $1300 but for that price you do not get any install or layout instructions!
Would anyone have access to any instructions or detailed photos of the radiator setup to help us install this?
Many Thanks

Try pm'ing air19 as he had it done on his vkpro. He might be able to take some pictures for you as he did mention that he had had one installed on his in his thread.

Try pm'ing air19 as he had it done on his vkpro. He might be able to take some pictures for you as he did mention that he had had one installed on his in his thread.
Ok many hanks I will do that
I find it hard to believe that Yamaha would supply such a extensive... And expenive!....kit, without the slightest piece of installation information of where to make any of the electrical or water hose connections. I checked with several local dealers and no one has experience of installing one of these.
Thanks for your help and a very Merry Christmas

I sent Mark a note about this, but for anyone else. I had the install done many years ago at my local dealer - All Around Power in St. Johnsbury, VT. They have done several of these installs for most of their VK Pro owners doing grooming. Besides installing the second radiator there was also the big fan that went with it. I had my dealer install a control switch right on my dash so I could basically turn the second radiator fan on anytime I wanted to. I remember when he did this because the second fan sucked so much juice that the dealer had to disable my 12V socket. Bottom line - find a good dealer and they will probably have done a few of these installs.

Now many years later I also have a temperature guage installed and I use this all the time in combination with my two fan switches. I'm trying to run the engine at temps between 170 and 185. When it starts to climb above 175 and it can do this quite quickly then I'll turn the primary radiator on. When it gets to 180-185 then I'll turn on the secondary. With both running I can usually get the temps back down to about 172 - that's my normal operating temp for a normal day. Of course there is no such thing as a normal day, but assuming the outside temps are in the 20s and I'm not running the grooming teeth too aggressively then it's a good target.

Hey Mark,

I took some pictures tonight. Not the best. Tomorrow I'll borrow a friend's big work lite and get some better ones but this will get you started.

1. First and second pictures shows the primary radiator up high on the right, and the secondary radiator on the left at the nose. The fan is underneath and I drilled about 10 holes in my front cowl to make it look like swiss cheese to get better airflow into the new radiator.

2. Third picture shows the primary radiator and now that I look at it, the hose work is easy. The outflow of the primary radiator goes to the new secondary radiator, and it's outflow is the final return. So the new secondary radiator is just daisy chained in with the hoses. The fourth pictures shows the secondary radiator but it's dark.

2014-12-27 18.41.12.jpg

2014-12-27 18.41.23.jpg

2014-12-27 18.42.42.jpg

2014-12-27 18.41.55.jpg

Better brighter pictures today thanks to a big work light.

I'm standing on the right side for most of these shots.

1. Lets start with a wide angle view of everything again...
2014-12-28 10.54.58.jpg

2. Now lets zoom in on the secondary radiator in the front where you should be able to see the mounting brackets and the hoses better.

2014-12-28 10.57.05.jpg

3. And lets start to work our way back from the secondary radiator to the primary...
2014-12-28 10.55.34.jpg

4. And finally back at the primary radiator...

2014-12-28 10.55.42.jpg

5. Last shot taken from the left side looking at the secondary radiator and you can see the angled mounting brackets better...

2014-12-28 10.56.36.jpg

OK Mark, That should get you started. From here out just ask specific questions and I'll see what else I can do. I doubt I am as mechanically inclined as you are but I can point a camera in the right direction so just ask. Good luck...

- Mike

These are great ! Thanks so much
I am sorry I only just have seen the postings as I didn't get any update email messages to let me know they had been posted as usual????.
I am bringing the VK into my workshop tomorrow. I will let you know how things progress!!
Again very appreciative of your assistance.
Hope you are getting more snow than we have here in the White Mountains. Haven't even taken my sled out yet!
Kindest Regards
Mark

Back