• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Voltage drop at battery when neg cable is installed

griz69

I have a weird problem..... I get a voltage drop at battery when neg cable is installed. My battery is brand new, the battery has 12v when just the pos side is hooked up but as soon as I install the neg cable the voltage drops to 8v which obviously isn't enough to start the bike. I checked the ground wire to the engine and it is fine, I even ran a new one to be certain but same deal.... here's the thing, I put a booster pack on the battery and the bike starts?? I can tell right away that I get my 12v because the neutral light gets brighter.... I need help with this one!!! Thanks

griz69 said:
I have a weird problem..... I get a voltage drop at battery when neg cable is installed. My battery is brand new, the battery has 12v when just the pos side is hooked up but as soon as I install the neg cable the voltage drops to 8v which obviously isn't enough to start the bike. I checked the ground wire to the engine and it is fine, I even ran a new one to be certain but same deal.... here's the thing, I put a booster pack on the battery and the bike starts?? I can tell right away that I get my 12v because the neutral light gets brighter.... I need help with this one!!! Thanks
sorry its a 99 600 grizzly

how does the battery test out with a tester? might have a bad/weak cell.

Sounds like your battery may have a weak cell. A good battery should show 12.6 to 12.8 vdc after a clean charge. There are other reasons for a heavy voltage drop, but without more info it's hard to tell you anything substantial.

Thanks guys it was the battery, the battery was fairly new that's why I never deemed it

Back