• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

W-Arm Cracks

This is not a new problem. Every pro-action skid I've owned (including 700's) has cracked the W-arm, and worn out the bushings inside the cross tubes as well as the shock mounting bushings.

In each case, I repaired with a mig welder and built it up a little to re-inforce; and the problem never re-occurred. Obviously it doesn't take much beefing up to cure the problem. You would think that Yamaha should have fixed this 9 years ago.

"No one else had the problem..."

Famous words from Yamaha. Every time I complained about using oil, "nobody else has had a problem..." When I complained about my jackshaft bearings being junk after a little over a year, "nobody else has had a problem..." When my W arm broke, "nobody else has had a problem..." When my seat cover came apart and the foam filled with water, "nobody else has had a problem..."

You can tell people who think from those who don't. Just look at what they do when a part breaks. If they run to the dealer and buy a new one, they aren't thinking, they are just replacing one weak part for another one. People who think replace a weak part with something stronger, or change the design of the suspension to solve the problem.

Jim

nhrxrider said:
"No one else had the problem..."

Famous words from Yamaha. Every time I complained about using oil, "nobody else has had a problem..." When I complained about my jackshaft bearings being junk after a little over a year, "nobody else has had a problem..." When my W arm broke, "nobody else has had a problem..." When my seat cover came apart and the foam filled with water, "nobody else has had a problem..."

You can tell people who think from those who don't. Just look at what they do when a part breaks. If they run to the dealer and buy a new one, they aren't thinking, they are just replacing one weak part for another one. People who think replace a weak part with something stronger, or change the design of the suspension to solve the problem.

Jim

Couldn't agree more. Even if Yamaha replaced the arm at their expense, I would've yanked it out and beefed it up or thrown it on eBay. The fact that they replaced the first one did more harm than good in the end. Oh well, I guess I'm thankful my rails haven't busted...yet. Just how much money does a guy have to spend on this suspension before he realizes he should've bought an Expert-X or M-10?

Back