• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

wanting an RX-1 next year.....need more info

JWL600CC

Extreme
i currently have a 2002 AC zr 600 cross country....been a good sled....i tried an 04 rx-1 a few weeks ago and i liked it alot...i do alot of high mileage riding in Quebec and if i go yamaha, it will be the 05 i will order..my dealer sells both AC and yamaha so that isn't a concern.......need to know: are simmons the best aftermarket skis for the rx-1?........is it comfy for the 250 mile days?.....is it hard to steer?.......is it cold?.......easy to start on sub-zero days?.....etc :) ......ANY thoughts will be appreciated........i am not a tuner or a racer so reliability and handling are the main concerns...........Jeff :)

Long distance rider, I would go with a warrior. Shortie with the new skid is tempting tho.

Simmons or the s-d precision prob. the best choices for skis.

Starting is very good, even better once synthetic oil is installed.

I have owned a Cat, and still do own a 2000 MXZ 600 SE with DPM that has 6690km on it. I was really tempted to buy the RX1 when it came out in 03, but like all new products I waited till 04 so they could get the bugs out and bought my RX1. Two weeks ago me and a buddy took my two machines (my MXZ and my RX1 shorty) to North Bay Ontario. The first night there my MXZ blew up on the lake doing 100km/hr or 62mph. My buddy felt really bad, :cry: but it was not his fault. We towed it to the local ski-doo dealer who repaired it within one day. :D $1200.00 later we were back on the trails. We were joined by five of my friends, of which none drive Yamahas. I will tell you this, out of all the machines, I was the only electric start machine, which worked awsome while I watched my buddy pull start his 700 polaris 7 times and all the other guys yanked on there cords also. These guys run hard and fast, and I weigh 170lbs, and there was no problem staying on there snow flaps in the trails, matter of fact, when we hit the straight aways, I could blow past them with ease. I had my RX1 flying through the air higher and farther than I ever did my 2000 MXZ. Yes I did find my knees did get cold, but so did the other guys. I had a lot less wind on my face and chest than the other guys. When they all took turns begging me to try my machine, they were impressed at how well it handled (it did not feel heavy) how quiet and smooth it was and the hand warmers were the best of all the machines. The best part I guess you could say is this: :p After 800miles of riding, I was not sore at all!!! My throttle thumb was great with no aches or pains, I used no oil, and I avereged a huge savings of fuel to the rest of the guys. Remember this: It doesn't matter how fast you are, there will always be someone faster, it doesn't matter how good your machine is on fuel, because you will have to find fuel for the other guys your riding with. This machine has covered all the basis for me, in the trails, on the lakes, fuel milage and reliability. I have the stock ski's on it, and will probably go to a set of SLT's next year. I did find that it darts a little, but not a lot. That's my 2 cents. Sorry about the novel. Yamaha RX1 #1 in my books. :wink: [/u][/b]

Knees do get a little cold... So i got better bibs!! No biggy!

Id get a new rx-1... It wont take the bumps as good as the warrior but the new skid should be AWSOME!!

It will be hard to go from a ZR to a rx-warrior... Because it wont take the very sharp turns as well .. But where you ride it might not make a difference...

GET THE REVESE...ITS A MUST HAVE!!

I love my sled and the engine is to DIE for!!

I've put SLP PowderPro skis with 8" Bergstrom skegs on my Warrior.

My sled used to dart when I first got it, but a good dealer setup when they installed the new A-arm (tree stump) and Ohlins front shocks just about eliminated that. Ski push was virtually eliminated except on hard surfaces and very slow speed corners: this is with stock skis.

Now I have the SLPs: they don't dart either, and have tremendous bite compared to stock. No more issues with ski push, and it even turns the long Warrior track as if it ws a 121" machine. I didn't get the idea of the heavier Warrior using basically the same ski as a Viper, to me a wider, more aggressive ski would logically balance the sled a bit better.

I didn't try the Simmons or Flexi ski route: I've been more than happy with the SLP SLT on a previous sled, but I thought they would not be enough ski for the RX. I was looking for better front end flotation and bite without sacrificing too much speed and ease of steering: the Powder Pros are much wider than stock with the wings engaged in loose snow, but have a narrow profile for harder pack.

Supposedly the Simmons and Flexis can still dart if you ride behind a sled with them fitted (like all the Revs out there...) if you don't have a good setup. Additionally, turning with a dual carbide tends to lift the outer skeg a bit, so I was a bit unsure if this would reduce bite, or force the remaining skeg into the snow.

For Quebec, I'd reckon the Warrior would be great as the trails are wide open. The Warrior is by far the most stable sled at high speed that I have been on. If it were me, I'd also look at the '05 RX, but I live in an area with lots of really tight and twisty trails.

think i'll be going for the shorty in 05 (red) with the Ohlins and the powder pros...(read amzing things about them at hardcoresledder.com)....i need to know also,besides getting them stuck......IS THERE ANY DOWNSIDE TO THESE SLEDS??????????? :wink:

Downsides?

Getting it unstuck from deep snow.
Dialing it in, mine was every bad thing you hear about the Warrior handling until it was set up properly.

I've never gotten better than 17 mpg. Then again, I've never gotten worse than 15 after the initial 100 miles, all with fairly hard riding.

After 290 miles on NH / Maine trails, I could feel my butt a little, but then the '05s have better seats and suspension (they say).

Lack of storage.

I still like the REV riding position and the way it handles the moguls, although the Warrior is pretty good as is.

JWL600CC said:
think i'll be going for the shorty in 05 (red) with the Ohlins and the powder pros...(read amzing things about them at hardcoresledder.com)....i need to know also,besides getting them stuck......IS THERE ANY DOWNSIDE TO THESE SLEDS??????????? :wink:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THe torque and throttle response will blow your mind!!

I put 6000 miles on a shorty last year with ZERO problems/ 3000 so far on the Warrior/ this sled is head and shoulders over the shorty especially if the snow is a little loose or deep/ I average 15.5 mpg/ very stable at high speed (80 and over)/ If your going to put on alot of "highway"miles get the Warrior but if it's "ditch banging" then I'd say the shorty with the new suspension/ personally If your thinking about one of the three cylinders I'd wait a year as this is a new motor from the crank up/ I did put on a set of 4 inch Woody doolys and there is no darting/ the starting is not an issue both sleds started at 25 below easily /later

"Winning them over one ride at a time."

The power is enough to make anyone forget about the ride. I actually feel sorry for them when they get back on their sled :lol: Once they work past the financials, and their spouse they're hooked :lol: .

If I have anything to complain about, it's the stock rear suspension setup (shock/spring) for heavy riders and the shock preload adjusters. I put an Ohlins on the rear and man what a diff. I don't think you'll have that problem with an '05 though. The RX1 can be setup to carve or drag but there's definite trade-offs with each.

As far as everything else, it's THE perfect trail cruiser or lake bruiser. Clean, quiet, powerfull, and reliable. Very heavy when stuck, but as I've said before: "They're all heavy when you get them stuck." Gas and go go go :wink:

Goodluck

Back