• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warm Starts on 2003 RX1

Vmax4

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 FXNytro MTX 162 SE with a 270 hp MCX Turbo and assorted goodies!
If I shut my RX1 down and wait for awhile (3-5 minutes)it seems to take takes quite a bit of cranking to get her to fire again. As long as it is a cold start or just an on and off quick thing, it fires with nothing more than a tap of the starter. Is everyone having this happen, or is it just me?

Thanks,
Steve Burdick

Vmax4 said:
If I shut my RX1 down and wait for awhile (3-5 minutes)it seems to take takes quite a bit of cranking to get her to fire again. As long as it is a cold start or just an on and off quick thing, it fires with nothing more than a tap of the starter. Is everyone having this happen, or is it just me?

Thanks,
Steve Burdick

Do you have a carb coolant shut-off installed?

This seems to be a common problem. When my sled was in for updates (03) I asked to have it repaired to no avail. Most of us just crack the throttle a little and it starts. Some have moved the ignition switch to the left side for easier throttle control.

Warm starts

I do not have the carb coolant shut off installed. I ride at about 3000 feet above sea level to 6000 feet. It is normally in the 40's when I ride, but sometimes as cold as 15 and sometimes as hot as 70, like last weekend. So the carb coolant shut off will solve my problems?

Thanks,
Steve

days when you are riding in the warmer temps is when you see the problem more.... you dont need all that warm coolant flowing through the carbs when it is that warm. On the other hand when you are in colder conditions and in deep powder you can still use it to keep the carbs from icing up if you install the shutoff valve

The coolant shut off solved my hard start problem. I used the plastic Polaris one. It was $6.

I know with mine, cracking the throttle was not enough. You still had to crank it for several seconds to get it to fire when hot. With the shutoff, that is no longer the case. ;):D

MightyWarrior said:
I don't see the big deal in cracking the throttle ;):D

Mighty - Don't overlook the fact that the "big deal" is not cracking the throttle but WHY you have to crack the throttle: all the extra fuel that is getting into the engine. It can do no good and potentially washes oil off cylinder walls, and ultimately causes oil dilution of the crankcase oil.
I'm wondering out loud if some of the issues with burning oil may be related to this?? Remember, a carb with floats that are either close to the upper limit for float height adjustment or have a weak inlet valve will tend to overflow much more easily when subjected to heat.

Back