• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warmest Gloves and Boots - far North

ReX

TY 4 Stroke God
We're planning a trip into the James Bay Frontier in early February and the only parts that ever get cold (typically when it's below -40°C) are my hands and feet (feet less so).

The gloves are my biggest concern as I got some frostbite on my fingers a few weeks ago.

I've been looking at the Reima Finn Ice and Viking gloves. Are these about the best out there? I definitely want to wear gloves if I can, not mits.

What do some of you far North riders wear?

Are you heading up to Moosonee?

The handlebar muffs is definitely the way to go for extreme cold. I tried the heated boot inserts, didn't work that well for me. And you seem to get tangled up in the wires when you forget to unhook them getting off the sled.

I always carry a few of those INSTANT HEAT pouches with me as well. Rarely use them, but if i get that feeling of getting too cold, just put them in your boots. They can get pretty hot.

SNOWRIDER,good call on the larger windshield.

use all of the above suggestions.......i wear Baffin Impact boots rated to -100C..very warm , very well made and comfortable...you can order them online at jseigelfootwear.on.ca

Boots - LaCross Ice Kings good to 100 below. Rode last year in 40 below weather all day and they never got cold. Gloves - Install the handlebar gators or what ever they called. The attach to your handlebars with velcro and you insert your hands inside. By far the best way to keep hands warm. I would also suggest mittens instead of gloves as these keep your hands warmer in the cold.

TRUKK Boots are great. I have used them for two seasons now with no complaints. I no longer need insulated socks for riding.

I have very good luck with my Baffins...rode comfortably in -40F when the rest of the guys were crying.

Get handle bar gauntlets. We always use them in extreme cold and they work well. They may look dorky but they work.

Also any boot rated -100 or less should keep you feet warm. My old Sorel Glacier boots have never let me down.

I 2nd the MUFFS....there are a pair at Royal Distribuitng I bought and work awesome and are not too big. The nice thing about MUFFS is you can still wear gloves. With no muffs you HAVE TO go with mitts.

Boots? I use good old Canadian made Kamik's!

Coldest I have ever rode was -35C.

Leather Mitts is the only way to go in very cold weather no glove can come close to mitts for warmth. Growing up on the praire in Manitoba where it was -40 for weeks on end trust me on this one. Another thing to remeber is to make sure your mitts and boots fit loosely and they will keep you warm no problem. The heat pouches I would suggest anyone who rides in extreme cold have some they work up to 6 hrs. Carry matches and know how to make a snow igloo in case you have too they could save your life.

We were up at James Bay last year, riding was great and yes it was cold. I just wear Yamaha gloves and I have never had cold hands. All the other guys had their pussy mitts on and some of them still complained about cold hands

I just picked up a pair of Sorel Glacier's (rated to -100°F). Even in -40°C my Sorel Snowlion's (rated somewhere around -40°) kept my feet pretty warm.

For gloves, have any of you found a pair of nice fitting, warm gloves? Something that maintains excellent control of the brake, while keeping warm. I'm used to using two fingers on the brake lever and don't want to change to gloves.

I don't know much about them, but I'm thinking of trying a pair of Reima Finn Ice gloves. I can't find any web sites or comparitive ratings on the warmth from the Reima gloves anywhere.

To keep warm on the coldest days I'm now thinking a pair of muffs or handlebar gauntlets that I can strap on might be a good option (thanks for the suggestion).

RXWonder, are the "Deluxe Cordura" Pro-X Muffs (pg. 305 in 2005 Royal Distributing catalog) the ones you are using?

I had Reimma Ice Finns last year on the trip at 40 below. While I am a big Reimma fan, those gloves sucked under those conditions. They hold too much moisture so you end up with wet hands, which is a killer under really cold conditions. Forget the gloves, go with leather mittens that have a removeable liner. Take the liner into your hotel each night and let them dry out.

I can recommend the RU Outside socks to help keep your feet warm. I read about them in SnowTech about how good they were. Tried them in December and they are awesome! They wick away so much moisture that your feet remain dry, i.e. warm. You must remove your boot liners at night to let them dry though.

Back